Streaming Together, But Apart

Originally posted by kimberley seto on September 22, 2019

https://kast.gg

With the advancement of mobile technology, it has become increasingly easier to stay connected and not just through traditional texting or video conferencing avenues. People are demanding for connections outside of simple communication. The Kast app allows users to share their online entertainment experiences. That is, while it also supports video, voice, and texting, its primary function is to host movie and TV “parties” with as many as 100 users/friends. Gamers can also share their gaming experiences in real-time with their friends. Supported on desktops and mobiles, I have found this to be my go-to app during my lonely days solo traveling abroad. My friends and I were able to continue our weekly tradition of weekend movie nights despite being thousands of miles apart.

2 responses to “Streaming Together, But Apart”

1. Jamie Ashton

This is another one of those things that has such strong arguements for both sides of the coin. It has been incredible to have these types of apps that can connect us, especially in the midst of a pandemic where we have no option to be apart. However, there are also people who argue that this cannot simulate actually sharing company. Many people throughout the MET courses have even discussed how video meetings and online platforms are exceptionally different to being together in f2f classrooms.
    I think one of my favourite speakers on this is Sherry Turkle. I don’t necessarily agree with all her points, but I think it is great food for thought in this conversation and aspect of mobile culture.
    “TEDxUIUC – Sherry Turkle – Alone Together” – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtLVCpZIiNs

2. Natalie Oldfield

The state of the world right now made this post interesting to me, in a way it may not have previously. Since we cannot stay connected in the ways we normally would have, we’ve had to be creative when it comes to staying connected. This app that Kimberly describes sounds like it would be welcomed right now. The ability to take part in a movie watching party where you and as many of 100 friends could watch and communicate at the same time or a gaming party where you are your friends can game separately and communicate at the same time sounds appealing. In Kimberley’s example, she and her friends used the app when she had traveled abroad, but I could imagine it being very useful right now. As I pondered this a little, I could see how this could be integrated in education right now as well. A group of students watching an educational movie or documentary together and discussing as a group would be an interesting learning experience.