Selfie-Esteem: Instagram’s Influence on Body Image

Instagram is a popular social network site among teenagers. A challenge associated with this social media platform involves the possibility to manipulate Instagram photos by using retouching techniques and the potentially negative influence that these “perfect pictures” may have on body image of young Instagram users. Both critics and fans often blame celebrities and models for using photo editing and retouching techniques. In reality things are very far from what they appear to be. Normalizing an unrealistic body ideal is a problem because teenage girls and young women look up to these individuals. Adolescent girls are often found to be susceptible for being affected by media images because of the psychosocial development that is typical of their age. Research suggests that girls are more likely to compare themselves with manipulated photos of peers than with photos of celebrities.

I looked into a study investigating the effect of manipulated Instagram photos of peers on adolescent girls’ body image and whether social comparison tendency is the reason for this association. 144 girls (14-18 years of age) were randomly exposed to either original or manipulated (retouched) Instagram selfies. Results indicated that exposure to manipulated Instagram photos directly led to lower perceptions of body image. Girls with higher social comparison tendencies were negatively affected by exposure to these photos. It was surprising that the manipulated photos were given more positive ratings than the original photos. Although the use of filters and effects was detected, reshaping of the bodies was not noticed very well. Girls in both conditions reported that the pictures appeared realistic.

Below are some of the items on the survey that were rated by participants using a 5-point scale:

• I often compare myself with others with respect to what I have accomplished in life.
  • If I want to learn more about something, I try to find out what others think about it.
  • I always pay a lot of attention to how I do things compared with how others do things.
  • I often compare how my loved ones (boy or girlfriend, family members, etc.) are doing with how others are doing.
  • I always like to know what others in a similar situation would do.

Refererence

Kleemans, M., Daalmans, S., Carbaat, I., & Anschutz, D. (2018). Picture perfect: The direct effect of manipulated instagram photos on body image in adolescent girls. Media Psychology, 21(1), 93-110. doi :10.1080/15213269.2016.1257392

2 responses to “Selfie-Esteem: Instagram’s Influence on Body Image”

1. LINDA ZHAO

Hi Ravneet! I really enjoyed your post. I find it interesting that reshaping of bodies were not as noticeable compared to filters and effects. The effect of unrealistic body image and expectations on self-esteem have always been around. Before, girls were comparing themselves to magazine models and celebrities on TV. Nowadays, the influence from instagram is far greater. I think that because instagram influencers are presented as everyday people, it creates an even worse effect. People start to think that the edited or perfected images are supposed to be achieved by regular people like themselves. It’s so easy to feel down because people generally only share the positive or perfected versions of their lives on social media. I started thinking about how we can try to lessen the tendency to compare ourselves to others on social media. I think one way is through raising awareness and pointing out that they are perfected versions of others’ lives.

2. kylie neiser

Hi Ravneet,

What a powerful message that video portrays. Everyone has their own persona on social media. Some give you the real version of their life, but most only highlight the happy times in their life. In that video though, it goes to show how easy it is to be a completely different person online than offline. Social media is a way to mask our feelings and hide from reality. We need to stop comparing ourselves to social media influencers because they are doing a great job at showing us the positives in their lives.