Financial Literacy- A Case for Pulling out your Phone with your Wallet

Originally posted by norah smith on October 12, 2019

For my A1 project, I chose to explore personal financial management apps and their place in providing a basic education in budgeting. My fiancé and I are slowly combining our finances, so needless to say, money has been on my mind lately. While I think I have decent financial health, I am sometimes alarmed at how many students I hear from that are woefully unprepared to be managing their finances on their own.

I used Adobe XD, as I wanted to try something new for this presentation and have heard good things. While not too challenging to figure out the basics, there were limitations that I was not anticipating like embedding video and audio that seemed to require a workaround. If you’re an Adobe XD guru, please let me know (I have some questions for you).

Please follow the link to my project here for viewing on your mobile device.

A list of my references can be found here

2 responses to “Financial Literacy- A Case for Pulling out your Phone with your Wallet”

1. Jamie Ashton

Financial literacy is such an important skill so overlooked by the educational systems currently. I think there is a lot of power in apps teaching awareness of this topic, and helping adults manage their money and spending. Whilst I agree with Juliano that earlier intervention may be helpful, all is not lost if we start as adults!
    This book and the author are one of my favourite resources in this area!
    https://www.likeafuckinggrownup.com/

There’s info on a lot, a book, a podcast, and a newsletter as well. Something for every kind of mobile user 🙂

2. Juliano Ng

While Norah’s project was informative and mentions the importance of financial literacy, I feel that the teaching of financial literacy to students needs to start much earlier. Financial literacy is a mandatory component to learn in grade 10 in Ontario but I feel that it should be taught to students even younger than that. Although younger students do not have full control of their own finances yet, I feel it would be beneficial for them to learn simple budgeting and banking basics so that they understand the value of money. I teach my grade 7s about chequing and saving accounts as well as what credit, debt, and interest are. My students are engaged and enjoy the discussions we have around this topic because, to them, they are learning about how to become responsible young people.