Teaching as an open profession

Originally posted by Gary Ma on February 10, 2017

Hello all,

I am here to present the concept of teaching as an open profession for my assignment 1. The link to my video presentation is found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R75ibGID2Go&feature=em-upload_owner

We live in a world of on-demand service.  We can very easily hail an Uber using our phones and be driven to almost anywhere else in the world. We can find a place to live using AirBnB. On the flip side of that, the same corporations allow generally anyone to become a driver, and to rent a room, or their own habitat to others. I argue that it should be the same for the field of education. People should be able to call an educator on demand, and be able to learn a skill or idea from the person. On the other hand, if I have a skill that others value, I should be able to connect with others to teach them that skill.

Thank you for watching.

One response to “Teaching as an open profession”

1. adriana silvestre

Originally posted by fonge29 on February 10, 2017
    Nice analysis Gary! I like your phrase ‘from personalization to generalization”. If this open profession of teaching exists I wonder if Ministries of Education would mainly be responsible for setting learning objectives for each grade level to meet a provincial/national standard. Additionally, they could be the hub for where competency testing occurs. Student would have much more flexibility to choose when and how they learn. Education systems would likely not support such a decentralizing of education as they will forego control and many jobs would be lost.