A2 – Video Primary in Education

Welcome to Week 5 and the first Movable Feast!  

Our OER is focused on Video Primary in education. We encourage you to explore the resource on your mobile phone. There are a variety of activities that allow the participant to create their own videos from the palm of your hand. 

http://etec523vp.weebly.com

Please take your time and move through the resource during the first part of the week.  In the second half, choose one of the programs presented and create your own mobile video resource to share on the Padlet discussion board.

Overview of activities:

• Video tools Survey
  • Video responses on FlipGrid
  • Video postings on Padlet
  • Video future on Wakelet

Please post any questions to the website and please feel free to comment below.

We look forward to your contributions.

Cheers,

The Video Primary Team

Ceci, Jonathan, Kat, Kristin and Luke

58 responses to “A2 – Video Primary in Education”

1. lindsay morton

This is a fantastic site, there are so many resources to use and they are all backed up with research and information about videos. I particularly liked the different apps you shared and had a great time trying out flipaclip. I also thought the planning for a video project in the classroom was a great tool and appreciate the rubric. Thanks!

2. JamieTooze

Team Primary Video,
    Sorry for contributing so late to the discussion but I have to say you ( as a group) are partially to blame! I was so caught up in your your site and in the tools you shared, that I forgot to share my thoughts here. I have already share your tips on assigning video assignments and the Derek Muller video with instructors in my faculty. Our faculty is developing a playbook for online teaching and learning and assessment and evaluation has been a pain point for some of our professors. Dr. Muller’s point about students tuning out is especially poignant when students watch video lectures created by their peers. So I will cut this short. Excellent job. Excellent resource. Thank you.

1. Kristin Garratt

Thank you for your comments Jaime. I am glad that you found the Derek Muller video impactful. I hope the ideas that he descripted will help with the playbook development. I am also inspired after viewing all of the OER’s to go back and revamp my school’s online teaching and learning plan. I believe there is an opportunity to implement more mobile learning aspects into the course and move away from simply transferring pages of texts to an online format. I believe that is a bit of a disservice to the students who are learning online.

1. Ceci Z.

Agree, Jamie and Kristin! The best thing I feel about MET is that it constantly allows for interplay between scholarly and school-based work and creates space for us to apply new learnings to our practice. I’m very excited about integrating what I’ve learned from all the wonderful OERs and the course into my teaching in the fall.

3. Mel

Team Video Primary, thank you for this opportunity to explore video as a teaching and learning tool in an interactive way. I enjoyed most of the consumption experience with my mobile phone but to complete activities I relied on both my laptop and phone, and I have to say the design was awesome on mobile. Great job! Also, I love how your team created the intro video and other products from scratch for the OER. I’ve used some of the use cases highlighted in my classroom but others were new to me, and I have bookmarked this later to return to and reference often.

4. Meipsy Shackleford

Hello Video Primary Team!
    Like many others have already stated, you did a great job on creating your OER. I enjoyed exploring your website throughout the week and learning more about Video Primary. I also enjoyed being able to participate in the interactive activities that you had set-up and seeing what others had also contributed.

1. Kristin Garratt

Thanks for your feedback, Meipsy. I hope you were able to try out a few of the apps and are inspired to use them in your professional practice.

5. tyler graham

Showing demos and getting us to engage with a video making tool was great too. I’m impressed!!

I found interesting your line in the sand between video and film. I certainly understand that technically speaking the media is different, but to most the two are often synonymous, no?

Such a cool site. So many great resources and absolutely a place I’ll be looking back into for future video ideas. FlipClip is of particular interest to me. So in my estimation this is a fantastic resource for educators – which is kind of the point of A2, I think.

1. Kristin Garratt

Hi Tyler,

I believe we took such a firm line in the sand regarding video and film because we were thinking strictly in terms of educational context. I realize that teachers include film in their courses as supplemental or as a case study, but we looked at video primary in terms of content delivery and teacher or student made projects. The intended use of fim is for entertainment that can also be educational. I appreciate your question, it made me go back and reflect on what the OER’s intention truly was for.

I am glad you found the different apps and demos useful. We hoped that the group would see that video primary was so much more than just youtube videos. 🙂

6. adrian granchelli

HI Video Primary Team,
    You’ve made a website packed full of great resources where most things are embedded and a user doesn’t have to navigate away from the website.
    The Demo tab is great, laid out with a brief synopsis of the app and embedded videos explaining what they are.
    The interactivities are low barrier of entry and inclusive.

Great job!

1. Kristin Garratt

Thanks for participating, Adrian! I hope you found some good stuff in there to take away. I am curious how many people interacted with their mobile devices or from their laptops? I welcome you to keep us updated if you come across any other video apps that we can update this website with.
      I’m glad you were able to enjoy the different activities.

7. Jane Wu

Hi, Video Primary Team. It’s very impressive how you managed to put together all of these in such a short time.
    Videos helped me understand a lot of confusing and abstract concepts in my own studies. Nowadays, I can not imagine that I have to go through a library management system to try to find a better explanation for the questions I have.
    Like others, I really like the video in classroom section, especially, the TED talk given by Derek Muller. It challenges me in thinking, as educators, we need not only to select the right video for our students, but also need to making video that challenge the students from different perspectives.

1. Ceci Z.

Thanks for your positive comments! Derek Muller’s video challenges our common sense about videos, doesn’t it? Just out of curiosity… I heard that YouTube and Google are not accessible in China, I wonder if that’s true? If so, how does it affect you as an educator and a scholar?

1. Jane Wu

Hi Ceci,
        Unfortunately, yes, we do not have direct access to Google or Youtube. We will need to have a VPN to get access to them. But luckily, thanks to some benevolent Chinese netizens, they would transfer some of the contents from Youtube to Chinese video websites. Some of them are well-organized into a series of courses, like the famous Standford, Harvard business or psychology courses. For academic research, if you are a university student or staff, you will have access to the database that the school has purchased. Outside of school, some websites and platforms have academic papers available with charge.

1. Ceci Z.

That’s good to know. Thanks, Jane!

8. jordon lovig

HI Video Primary Team,

Thanks for putting together a fantastic OER! As others have noted, you’ve set the bar pretty high. I thought your resource had just the right amount of interactivity- it made me feel like I was involved and contributing without being too onerous. I especially liked getting to see everyone’s faces and hear their voices in the FlipGrid activity- something you normally don’t get in an online course.

Your content really got me thinking about how integrated video has become in our daily interactions with mobile technology. I recall several years ago a TV add for the latest Samsung mobile device where they advertised that you could “watch video while sending a text message”. At the time, I thought to myself that was a ridiculous thing to advertise… are we so deprived of stimulation that we can’t even pause a video to message a friend? But now years later i find myself constantly communicating by text while watching YouTube videos or while engaged with other applications. I don’t really know when it happened but somewhere along the line video became the primary media mode that I use my mobile device to access.

I also found the Rubric you posted regarding Video Project Evaluation to be particularly useful, and really enjoyed reading everyone’s comments. Thanks again for a well put together OER!

1. Ceci Z.

Hi Jordon,

The Samsung ad you mentioned is really interesting! It’s believed by many that multitasking is a myth. Technology is one of the elements that may cause sensory overload. I wonder what is your opinion on this?

1. jordon lovig

Honestly I’m inclined to agree! Although I do find myself multitasking more often now that mobile technology encourages it, I find that when I try to do 2 or more things at once, I rarely do anything well. For example, I’m much more likely to have spelling or grammatical errors in a text message that I send while watching a video.

9. greg patton

Phenomenal work with the website! I found it all very informative; I have already shared the Explain Everything app with some of the EAs that work in our high with students one on one. In these times they have been having to find spaces with whiteboards or setting up kind of home classrooms to work with kids. This tool will help them on so many levels. Thanks again!

1. Kristin Garratt

Thanks for your comments, Greg. I really enjoy using the Explain Everything app with my students for quick explanation videos. The free version only allows up to 1-minute videos. I really like the challenge of keeping my explanations clear and concise. It is not a flashy as some of the other apps out there, but being able to share a video of the whiteboard allows me to answer many student questions when working from afar.
      Thanks again for your feedback.

10. Michael Saretzky

As a previous technology coach (the position was cut due to budget concerns) I found this to be an excellent resource that I could have used with my colleagues to encourage them to use the different video tools in the classroom. It was a great balance between some tools that I have used in the past to some tools that I look forward to using in the future. The other aspect that I found great was that the tools listed were great for teachers, as well as students.

1. Kristin Garratt

Thank you for noticing Michael. I think with the vast choice of video apps, we could probably continue to update the resource every couple of months with new and exciting videos. Please let us know if there are any cool video apps you have come across that you would like to share, as with your experience as a technology coach is an invaluable resource.

11. silvia chu

Hello Primary video Team,

Thank you for putting all this together. I am bookmarking your site as a resource for video information. I am not much of a video person, I mean when it comes making videos. I would like to take the opportunity to mention the three video apps I use most: YouTube, YouKu and TikTok. These days there is trend of using videos because it is interactive, it is visual and it is easier to understand. I just have this thing of putting my face on video for everyone to see. I have to confess that I have been avoiding to put my face on the internet as much as I can. 

Reading through the post in Padlet I saw a comment that Video Scribe is free for us to use as along as we are attending UBC. Nice! I was not aware of that. It is a resource that I will have in mind for my next project. 
I will be trying Explain Everything. Once I read that there was a whiteboard, I got interesting in using the app. Now that we have gone completely online, I have been trying different apps with my students but not all of them have whiteboard. It is a plus for me to have the whiteboard function since I need to do a lot of writing.

I enjoyed the design for the “Video Consumption at a Glance” and “ Video Production at a Glance”. My only comment is to have a return button for the viewer to go back to the previous page.

1. Pascaline Natchedy

Hi Silvia,

You can also get Camtasia from the software centre on Canvas. It’s quite easy to download.

12. Yi Chen

Hello Video Primary Team,

Very clear and beautiful website. I have taken many notes about software and apps. I am interested in the Explain Everything and will try it later for sure. Poonam Rana’s article is inspiring but a little too optimistic because the technology is never value-neutral, it can be both good and bad to education. I was attracted by the idea of a “shift from thinking digital to being digital.” I believe that in the future, many of the learning materials will be digitalized, and the environment will change too. However, the experience that a digital environment can apply is limited to sight and hearing mostly. Therefore, a 100% digitalized learning environment is possible, but probably not the best for children’s development. This is why my wife and I are struggling with how to make the balance of digital technologies and traditional books in our kids’ daily life.

I attended the first, third and fourth activities, and the Wakelet and Padlet are useful platforms for involving viewers to view and share their ideas. I didn’t participate in the second one because I am not comfortable with making videos showing myself. I think there must be some students who don’t want to make videos for various reasons. If a kid is low self-esteem with his/her appearance, academic capacity or being naturally introverted, making self-appearance video may hinder the engagement of learning. Learning is about moving out of one’s comfort zone, but such a movement needs more encouragement and direction.

I suggest adding Tiktok to Question 2 in Activity 1 as an option because it is quite popular.

Overall, educational and fruitful OER, thank you so much.

1. Kat

Thank you, Yi Chen for your thorough feedback.
      I appreciate your point in that digital learning is limited to sight and hearing. Perhaps, tools for students with sensory needs can be developed alongside applications. For example, something like those fidgets where students could connect them to applications that could be used for self- regulation. I am not sure what grade you teach but my students in grade 4/5 are ones that need to move their hands when listening.
      I think you hit a key point about children’s development and how to create a BALANCE of technology and traditional methods in teaching. As we move forward in world where technology is rapidly advancing, I think it’s important for children to be a part of the movement but certainly not to let it consume them. I am afraid of the skills that students may lack because of this and the impacts on their well-being and emotional state. Eg. immediate gratification
      You are correct that video is not for all students. For some of my students at school, instead of recording themselves, they have the option to use models or puppets to present their work while it’s being filmed. It allows them to feel more confident about their work while still having a voice and presenting their ideas.
      Thank you again for your wonderful insights!

2. Kristin Garratt

Hi Yi Chen,
      I appreciate you sharing your opinions on being filmed because that is something that needs to be realized. Since COVID, I have been video conferencing with my online students individually, and I realize that there must have been some anxiety for them before they signed in for their initial meeting. I can see some students are uncomfortable when speaking online, and it must be because they can see themselves in the bottom corner. I know that I am embarrassed when I hear my recorded voice, and I can’t seem to overcome it. It must be a similar feeling to some students when they are filmed.
      I think finding the balance between digital and analogue will be a struggle for a few years. Digital is developing so quickly, it seems that we have all dove into the deep end. I believe slowly people will realize as you did that we need to pull ourselves back from technology every once in a while.
      Thanks for sharing.

3. Mel

I agree that video can be problematic for some students. I really enjoy creating videos, but I am a perfectionist and it takes me an inordinate amount of time to create something I’m comfortable presenting to others if I appear in it. Students in K-12 are vulnerable because other students will screen record and rebroadcast their videos to social media in order to bully or harass them, and any teacher or school that has students use and publish themselves using video technology needs policies in place to protect students from undue harm.

13. Pei

Hi Video Primary Team,

Excellent work! I appreciate the clean layout and intuitive navigation of the website. The part I like the most is how the team incorporates different tools (Piktochart, Flipgrid, and YouTube, for example) to illustrate your points.

The section on Ed Apps is very helpful and I have downloaded Explain Everything after going through your website. Your introduction about each app, including your own analysis helps to provide a good overview on what the app is like. We often talk about how important context is in order to make the tool useful and I find the information you provide here, really geared towards the educational professionals, which is the target audience here.

Great work! : )

1. Kat

Thank you so much for your feedback, Pei. We’re glad that you were able to find the applications useful. I hope that you can implement them with your students and that they find them beneficial to their learning.
      Do you use any other tools (video and informative) currently with your class that have been effective?

14. James Seaton

Hey Video Primary Team,
    Thank you for starting us off strong. What I liked most about your presentation was the offering of different technologies to try out and the shared feedback via the Flipgrid activity, though I wished you’d challenged us to share a bit more than just the names of our top three – I’m definitely up for some crowd sourced suggestions for new video apps (with a little more info about them to help persuade me that they’re worth my time). I do find it interesting that most of your classmates (myself included) still opted for providing written feedback (in the Wakelet) for your last piece on the future. I definitely think that for generations that are used to written output, it will take some time to transition to this idea of thinking video first.

1. Kristin Garratt

Thanks for your feedback, James. You made an interesting point about written feedback. While I do believe video has made its mark in mainstream culture, I think there is a generational separation between the students and teachers right now in terms of text. The students spend a lot of time with snaps and tik toks and are comfortable interacting with their friends that way. I think our generation is more comfortable connecting via text and sharing out ideas in words. Perhaps with the current world climate, older generations will be more comfortable with video because of Zoom and other conferencing apps that are connecting families and friends.
      I appreciate your thoughts and sharing your ideas. This has given me something to consider with video and communication.

15. VeroniqueBrunet

What a great OER! I always knew how video was a powerful tool to engage students in their learning. I have seen it even more during this pandemic crisis where teachers in my board have had to setup online courses in my school board’s VLE. After a few weeks of teaching online, teachers quickly realised they needed to incorporate videos in their lessons. They began to use the built in Videonote tool to record themselves talking to students, they use Screencastify, Microsoft Stream and Explain everything to create video demonstrations and presentation. More recently, they added synchronous learning sessions with their students using The Virtual class room within the VLE or Microsoft Teams. I appreciated how you provided the theory to support what I am observing in my schoolboard’s virtual classrooms. It is a great resource that provides practical information on a variety of video recording tool and valid constructive criticism.

At a first glance, we see video as a great tool to demonstrate and explain things, to flip the classroom. One aspect of video that particularly interests me (and you mention it in your OER) is how it can be a powerful tool to provide students feedback. I went to an educational technology conference (AQUOPS) a little while ago and one of the keynote speakers discussed how video can be a great tool to provide feedback to students. He argued that when feedback was provided to student in video format, it was more relevant for students and would engage them more in their learning. While looking further into the subject, I came across this article that provides great insight on different ways to use video use provide feedback to enhance student engagement.

https://www.scholarlyteacher.com/post/three-ways-to-use-video-feedback-to-enhance-student-engagement

1. luke pereira

That is great Veronique! thanks for sharing. Correct, without feedback and quality of how feedback is provided, can affect the outcome of critical thinking down the road in students and even adults. Piggy backing on your link with this one too https://www.louisianabelieves.com/docs/default-source/teacher-leader-summit/2018-teacher-leader-summit/e056_3-ts-of-quality-feedback.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Thanks !

16. luke pereira

Hi Everyone! thanks for participating in the polls and fun interactivities we created. It was fun and a great learning experience creating it. The results for the Polls are on the website http://etec523vp.weebly.com/ below the survey questions. Looks like Zoom and Youtube are leading the pack :). It is interesting how zoom has taken over since just 4 months ago, we never really knew much about it. Question to all is what makes a video platform like zoom go viral in its usage compared to the many options we already had prior to 2020?

1. LINDA ZHAO

Good point Luke! Before COVID, we also had video platforms for meetings like Skype, Google hangouts, etc. Why didn’t they take off? I think part of why Zoom went viral is how easy it is to set up and access. People don’t need an account or download a special software. Simply click on a link and start meeting with others. The user interface during the meeting is also super intuitive. It’s also much faster and less glitchy than some of its predecessors (at the expense of poorer security unfortunately). Another function of Zoom that makes it attractive is its ability to accommodate larger groups. Zoom won by its simplicity and functionality.

1. luke pereira

Great Point Linda – yes it was easy to use compared to the bigger power weights like Google and Microsoft that already had options, as it shows that people are leaning towards ease of use, although both google and Microsoft have free options for their products, Zoom has a cost. We use both at work and mostly use Teams due to its integration with the organization platform.

17. Binal Khakharia

Like everyone here, I really enjoyed navigating your website and playing with the resources and apps you have curated for us. I think most of these are great to share with students to help them become producers of educational artifacts (rather than merely consumers) and showcase their learning in different ways. The infographics were very useful and highlighted important information to keep in mind when considered video primary as a resource. I think your project demonstrates the care and thought that went into it, and I enjoyed interacting with it – well done! 😀

1. Kat

Thank you so much, Binal! We’re happy that you were able to enjoy the interaction. The intention was for us to offer information and also have the user “Teacher” experience what is it like to produce using the applications. It can support our learners much better when we can experience from their perspective as well.
      I hope you will be able to use some of these applications with your students!

18. Pascaline Natchedy

I enjoyed the section about Video in Classroom’. It is quite comprehensive and useful. Educators can find helpful resources there to incorporate videos in their lessons.

1. Kristin Garratt

Thanks, Pascaline. We had a great time researching the different apps. Are there any video resources that you currently use that you would like to add to the list?

19. Ram

Well done, Team Video Primary in Education! I like your Demo of Ed Apps for videos, that was very helpful. The section on Video in the classroom has really good information for a classroom teacher. This was also very helpful and I like it greatly. I was a bit nervous at first that we would need to try out many apps which could be time consuming but I am glad that we just had to do a couple and it was fun and not too difficult. I appreciate seeing how FlipGrid is easy to use – this is important for students. I also noticed that this interactivity demonstrated to me as a teacher that it is important that we get consent from students before a video recording is made of the students and also that we need to take account that some students may not be comfortable in front of the camera or too shy or do not want to show their face in a video.So the exercise did gave me a pause for reflection on the use of FlipGrid in the classroom.

1. Kat

Thank you Ram! It was really great to hear that some of the applications brought forth some reflection for yourself and your students. You bring up important points to consider the needs of students and especially in video when they may not want to be “seen” or recorded. As teachers, we can offer these applications as options and give students the choice meanwhile giving some adaptions for them to personalize. Thank you for your insights!

20. Anne Emberline

I appreciate the video activities you gave us – I always assume video is going to be a ton of really dry and/or agonizing work to put together, optimize, upload, etc, but the Flipgrid video took no time at all and even let me record straight into it, and the hand-drawn animation I made with Flipaclip was also super quick to make.

I can see how my assumption that video is time consuming has led me to avoid it, which has resulted in me having no idea that there are so many tools that actually can make video SUPER easy. You’ve inspired me to use video more 🙂

1. Kat

Thank you, Anne! It is definitely something that can be fearsome at first. With the options we provide for our students, WE as educators have to investigate how to use them before we can truly offer our help to our students. Although, in my practice I am finding that students discover quicker methods to creating videos or extra features and we learn together and then support the whole class -altogether. Great to hear you are more confident in using these tools!

2. Jonathan

Flipaclip can be as light and simple or as complicated and detailed as you want, which allows for great self-differentiation

3. Ceci Z.

I’m so glad to see so many creative videos on Flipgrid. You guys are awesome!

21. verenanz

Hello Primary Video!

I was especially excited to see this topic and all the examples, as my students at UVIc in #EDCI338 are making videos for the next two weeks as their final project! I am going to pass along your project to help them – if that’s ok.

I was most impressed with the variety of infographics that summarized your theoretical considerations and current literature. I think you created them? I would encourage you to consider adding a CC license if you did create them OR a “retrieved from link” if you did not create them?

Great collection of video digital tools – maybe add t\a difficulty level for each one? I know that some of the ones that you included are particularly hard to use (for me at least) … a scale of “affordances or ease of use” may be helpful for teachers?

THANK YOU so much for sharing !!!

Dr. Verena Roberts 🙂

1. Ceci Z.

Hi Verena,

Thank you for your positive feedback! Yes, we did create all the infographics by ourselves. Great idea to add a CC license and difficulty level. Appreciate all your constructive suggestions. We’re glad you find it useful. Please feel free to share it with your students. This is what an OER for 🙂

22. carla pretorius

Well done, Team Video Primary! This has been an excellent way to kick off the Moveable Feast and you have set the bar high. I have really enjoyed going over your website and like others I will be bookmarking it to return in future. I especially enjoyed the TED talk of Derek Muller on his research. It’s certainly made me reflect on the idea that a video shouldn’t be seen as a stand-alone educational resource and we still need to combine it with other activities that facilitate reflection in order to really make the most of its affordances. It’s a lesson I will try and implement in the next courses I teach.

1. Kristin Garratt

Thanks, Carla, I absolutely agree with your statements. I think the intention that Derek Muller made about videos can really be applied to all educational technologies. It is along the same lines as video simulations, they help aid in understanding more challenging concepts in Math and Science courses, but there should be a variety of tools used to explain the points. I believe the same can be said for different apps; if they are too time-consuming, the students may lose interest before they realize the full value. Also, if a video is too long, students do not engage long enough for their misconceptions to change. What one person finds exciting and engaging might not be the same for the rest of the class.

Were you able to try out any of the demos for yourself? I am really interested if anyone made their own animation with Flipaclip! It is too bad they are not able to post videos in these comments.

1. carla pretorius

Hi Kristin, I tried out TouchCast- super awesome app and I am actually looking into how I can acquire an educator’s license for the app. Thank you for introducing us this week to so many awesome new apps.

23. Katlyn Paslawski

Hello Video Primary Team!
    Thanks for your amazing creation! I really enjoyed the video reviews your team created as examples for how these apps can be used. I used my mobile device to read, watch and complete the activities and I found it very easy to navigate. My favourite resource was the TedX video about video education in science.

Great resource that I will be sure to bookmark and share!

1. Kristin Garratt

Thanks, Katlyn, I appreciate you diving into the resource with your mobile device. We took a lot of care to create the website with mobile technology in mind and still trying to make it appealing when viewed on a desktop. Did you try to make your own video from one of the Demos? If so, how did you find it to create a video from your mobile?

There were many hiccups when developing the demo for the Explain Everything video. For example, many people would not be bothered by the toolbar on the left side of your phone. However, a lefthanded person, like myself, kept hitting the erase button with my palm and would delete my work while I was filming the whiteboard.

I really enjoyed the TedX video as well. I think it is important to realize that videos are not just filmed lectures; they need to be short, engaging and to enhance the instruction or clarify misconceptions. They should not replace in-person teaching, but to enhance the student’s overall experience of learning.

24. Jamie Ashton

Your site is really wonderful! The architecture makes it super easy to navigate, and I appreciate the drop windows you used. The pro/con lists were also a very helpful technique to make sure that there was a balanced perspective provided, and a good variety of resources where used and shared.

Thanks so much! Will be going back to it throughout this week to re-read and internalize all the content.

Nicely done!

1. Kat

Thank you for your comments and feedback, Jamie! Please do check out the Interactivities!
      We appreciate you stopping by!

2. Jonathan

Thanks! You can also create an animation this week using Flipaclip or other app. This would be fun to see.

3. kylie neiser

I agree. The page is easy to navigate, visually appealing, and fantastic content. I too enjoyed the pros and cons lists on the the video apps and platforms. I will definitely be adding some of these to my ongoing digital toolbox I have been creating throughout my journey of the MET program.