A1-Mobile Storytelling

Mobile Storytelling

Most educators are familiar or heard about Digital Storytelling. For this assignment I decided to focus on a subset of Digital Storytelling which is Mobile Storytelling. If you want to learn more about this specific topic, join me by clicking on the link provided below.

( Average Rating: 3.5 )

5 responses to “A1-Mobile Storytelling”

1. Jamie Ashton

Hey Pascaline,

I liked this a lot… and I’m curious how you would think about mobile storytelling in informal educational environments. Do you think that people using these tactics implicitly teaches digital literacy? Does consuming them act as teaching content about the world around you?

Interested in hearing your thoughts 🙂

Thanks
    J

1. Pascaline Natchedy

Hi Jamie,

That’s a good question. I’m not sure that people using mobile storytelling in informal educational environments implicitly teach digital literacy. They might teach their viewers digital media skills. Viewers can find new apps or tips for making a video. By producing a story in an informal educational environment, storytellers bring awareness about an issue and reflect on their world. Digital literacy for me goes beyond the technical side of making a video. It is also about evaluating information and composing clear information through writing and other medias. Are storytellers in an informal educational environment push to do proper investigation? Do they try to stay neutral and unbiased? Do they have the facts to back up what they say? I don’t think so; at least not always.

2. tyler graham

This is cool. I’ve never heard of mobile storytelling before – but it certainly seems like something for me to check out so as to engage my French language classes.

Thanks!

3. Pascaline Natchedy

Thanks Mel! Henry Jenkins is quite spot on about the implications of Multimedia technologies and participatory culture. Mobile storytelling is a great tool for second language acquisition. It allows students to take ownership of their own learning while also practicing and working on their writing skills, pronunciation and grammar.

4. Mel

Pascaline, I enjoyed your analysis of digital storytelling, and especially the participatory culture aspect – I have more reading from Henry Jenkins to do. Digital storytelling was something enormously enjoyed in my ESL/English classroom, and this was before most of my students had phones and a few years before most phones had video recording capability. I imagine it would be a smoother experience today, as most students have their own devices and can edit from it. It blows my mind when I think how much tech has advanced since I began my teaching career. Thank you for this analysis!