A1: Physical Literacy

I’ve created the page below to explain the importance of Physical Literacy and how we can use mobile devices to increase children’s movement throughout the day. The goal is to get kids moving, going outside and creating healthy habits that increase their chances at an active lifestyle heading to adulthood.

Physical Literacy in the Mobile World
What is Physical Literacy? Physical Literacy is the motivation, confidence, physical competence, knowledge, and understanding to value and take responsibility for engagement in physical act…
Go to this Sway

2 responses to “A1: Physical Literacy”

1. janice roper

The topic of physical literacy in youth is so important and has become an increasing concern over the last year as both unstructured and organized physical play have taken a big hit for many children due to various levels of imposed lockdowns. I have wondered about the physical toll on the many young people who are not able to be out playing as they normally would. Many families have had to relax or abandon any previous rules about screentime in exchange for the less-than-ideal social interaction and companionship that mobile devices can give our children. The idea of using those screens to motivate and get kids moving is exciting and promising. How do we harness this potential and get children interested in getting off the couch? I’ve observed my own children sitting out the couch during a Zoom PE class, so just having the video is not enough. I like the points that Meg mentions about fitness trackers and video analysis, these are the types of motivators that can make use of the mobile tools that our children are using and help get them moving.

2. Meg

As a PE teacher I appreciate this post from Lindsay as I feel like many teachers in the high school system are struggling to integrate PE with mobile education. I try to incorporate apps and videos regularly when I’ve taught PE classes. It’s amazing the intrinsic motivation that can come from students tracking steps or distance, or watching a video of themselves performing a skill. When students can see the physical improvements that come with being physically active, it encourages them to continue. I find that mobile devices level the playing field and help to design activities that are tailored to the individual needs of each student. Devices can differentiate instruction in so many more ways than one teacher can!