Smartphone distraction in the classroom

I researched and read extensively about smartphone distraction in the classroom as it is an issue that interests me greatly. First, I found that “Put away your phone everybody” as a long term strategy is untenable because smartphone use is so prolific outside the classroom. Second, my readings coalesced around how to approach and deal with smartphone distraction in the classroom using pedagogy. Next I discovered the idea that education gaze traditionally foregrounds student agency and pedagogical approaches to smartphone distraction in the classroom try to reclaim an illusory independent human agency. This is a revelation for me. The takeaway is that students are not able to prevent their smartphones from distracting them in class. Read all about it here!

( Average Rating: 4.5 )

One response to “Smartphone distraction in the classroom”

1. TYLERSENINI

My first job as a TTOC was for grade seven, they all had phones and would not listen to me at all. Needless to say, I teach grade 1/2 now where they don’t have phones yet! I was not prepared to be the grade seven teacher and know what to do with smartphones in the classroom!