15 responses to “Defining “Education””

1. Jamie Ashton

This has been such an interesting thread to read through! Thanks to everyone for their responses and input – it’s always a richer experience when others add their thoughts to a conversation.

2. adrian granchelli

I wanted to share a quote that has stuck with me over the years from a favourite professor:

“Education is what remains when the knowledge from your schooling is all gone”

3. adrian granchelli

This has been an interesting thread to read – thanks for starting it Jamie.

4. Jonathan

I’d have to agree with a lot of these replies here in saying that learning is really happening at all hours of the day given its accessibility. I’ll often have students who have already looked at things I use as teaching materials and conversation starters, but they haven’t looked at them in previous classes. Instead, they’ve seen them on their own time, taken there by their own curiosity. As internet speeds get faster (5g, wifi 6 etc) and the global coverage keeps increasing (think future of Starlink global sattelite coverage) we’ll have even more information and new types of media at our fingertips.
    As this information becomes available to more people, it could matter less if you went to a school in a rich neighbourhood or not. Individual motivation and drive to learn will influence outcomes. If this is true, how can we create more motivated and driven students? I can think of some ideas like more practical problems and guided filtering trustworthy vs untrustworthy sources of information, but I don’t think it’s adequately formally taught.

5. Lyon Tsang

Education is definitely fluid and dynamic — back in the day, something like “learning” from YouTube videos was certainly not as legitimate as it is now. Now, you can really learn… anything!

Maybe we can think about education as a mindset? Ideally, as opportunities for interests to be pursued, knowledge to be gained and shared, information to be shared in diverse and effective ways?

6. David Vogt

I come at this from a different direction, given that I have no formal background in education.

The big picture for me is “learning”, with “education” being a root and major subset. My onboarding to this space was informal learning (science museums) and online game-based learning. I see learning blossoming out in an amazing number of directions, mostly digital.

So I would come at this question by saying that an “educator” is someone who delivers, facilitates, and creates opportunities for learning, and “education” is something that is done by educators, and refers to the profession of educators.

The reason this is such a great question is that there are so many different, authentic perspectives on it – meaning that “education” is transforming in front of our eyes…

1. Ram

I agree. I remember when I first read Schunk (2012) using the terms “teaching” and “learning”, I liked the idea so much that from then onward I say teaching and learning. I hope my understanding is correct.

Schunk, D. H. (2012). Learning Theories: An Educational Perspective (6th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson.

7. Ceci Z.

Great question, Jamie! In the mid-1990s, the New London Group initiated the multiliteracies approach to literacy pedagogy in order to better equip our students with the skills and knowledge they need to be successful in this rapidly changing, globalized world. Traditionally, literacy was confined to the form of written language; and now the move from “literacy” to “literacies” advocates multiple ways of communicating and making meaning, thus bringing democracy to the classroom. In the context of mobile learning, education no longer happens at a prescribed time and place, in a systematic manner; and moreover, it probably goes towards a more spontaneous direction.

1. Ram

Hi Ceci,
      I am glad you brought in the New London Group. My take on this is that the New London Group is bringing into the conversation that definitions are changing. What are the new definitions is the question, we just know for sure that definitions are changing.

1. Ceci Z.

Hi Ram,

You’re right. Just like “education”, the denotation of “literacy” remains “the ability to read and write” in the dictionaries :
        https://www.dictionary.com/browse/literacy?s=t
        https://www.google.com/search?q=dictionary&oq=dictionary&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j0l6j69i60.3725j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#dobs=literacy

However, efforts were made by many practitioners to redefine “literacy”, and here are just a couple examples:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn0_H-kvxkU&feature=emb_logo
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byzoDZAdzmU

To everyone, I wonder what is your definition of “literacy” is?

8. LINDA ZHAO

Great point Jamie! People can certainly be educated outside of schools and universities. It’s really too bad that most of the time, society does not recognize education from outside the system. Sometimes we don’t even recognize education from other countries. I came from an immigrant family and saw first hand how foreign education can be disregarded. I think that in this course, we have proven that education can take place in many ways through mobile and open resources, without systematic instruction. Not only does education need to be redefined, the mindset of the general public regarding what it means to have an “education” needs to change as well.

9. Mel

Jamie, great question and conversation starter! Next week’s OER on 5G will touch on this, as education needs to be reimagined for the future. Lifelong learning is important now, but it will be even more important and new expectation as emerging technologies rapidly advance our world and way of living.

10. ravneet sandhu

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for pointing this out. I am curious to know how old this definition is.

In my opinion, the dictionary definition of education sounds very robotic. The learning process does not necessarily occur through systemic instruction. The definition fails to mention that learning can occur organically through our experiences as well. It definitely should be redefined to include a range of sources (including technology) through which we can gain knowledge and skills. In this definition, the link between education and learning has not been made. Learning is such an individualized process that occurs at different rates and using various approaches. As well, the different types of instruction (online, face-to-face, blended) should also be acknowledged. There are so many ideas to consider, but perhaps we should also keep in mind that a definition should be clear and concise.

1. Ram

Hi Ravneet,
      Good observation, exactly, that is on old definition indeed so that is the question: is it still valid?

11. tyler graham

That’s a great point. With technological advancements the walls of the gatekeepers are being torn down, so as you said, learning doesn’t any longer have to be at a prescribed time and place.

As with all things internet though, there’s a double edged sword. I’ve always said that the democracy of the internet is both its blessing and its curse. When we have people with a large platform extolling the virtues of, oh I don’t know, not vaccinating your children, the idea of open education online becomes a little frightening.

This is of course but one extreme and negative example. And there are I’m sure dozens of positives to go with every anti-vax movement. But the anti-vax movement has pretty far reaching implications. And it’s come partly because we’re all now willing to learn from just anyone.