DIY Mindset Reshaping Education

I found this article quite pertinent to this week’s topic as it discusses the rise of DIY learning in several countries (especially developing and emerging ones) and the reasons behind its gain in popularity. It was interesting to read about the survey that was conducted in 11 different countries. The reasons that were put forward do make us educators ponder about the future of education. Many think that the actual system is failing the young generation and that technology is making it easier for them to take control of their learning. Do you share those opinions too? Do you think that young people won’t need an accredited degree from a reputable university to land themselves a decent job in the near future?

You can access this article here.

3 responses to “DIY Mindset Reshaping Education”

1. EmilyChen

Hi, thank you for sharing this post!
    If I needed to learn something quickly, I personally always resort to looking online, especially on YouTube. It’s interesting to see actual numbers from the article you shared: If people had to learn something new for their career quickly, they said they would be more likely turn to a short training program (47 percent), followed by access to a free resource such as YouTube, Lynda.com or Khan Academy (33 percent).

I think it’s really important for children to learn how to find answers from the internet at a young age, so that when they are older, they can better navigate on the internet to find the necessary training they might need to build on a particular skill. Typically I find if I need very surface level skills, not at a professional level, free sources serve my need. For example, if I need to learn how to make a podcast or edit a video, I can find how to do those things very easily on YouTube. But if I need to learn more about how to use podcast well in a classroom, or how to create an education video which is suitable for children and can bring positive impact on language learning for example, I would still want to receive professional course training to gain a better understanding on how children learn using multimedia.

2. Pascaline Natchedy

Hi Linda,
    I think you hit the nail on the head. Credibility is a major issue for people taking MOOC courses, They invest time, effort and energy in their courses but the certificates they receive might not be recognized by employers. It’s a pity because MOOC courses have the ability to democratize tertiary education but then if you look at students who are enrolled in those courses, most of them are already highly educated. As for the education system failing students, I believe it’s true. Some tenured professors have a hard time transitioning to a student-centered style of teaching. If you want around any campus in the world, you will still find those big lecture theaters that can accommodate 1000 students at a time. This kind of set up encourages the lecturing mode of teaching and the teacher becomes the sage on the stage. Assessments mostly test students on knowledge acquisition and students don’t always have the opportunity to develop and hone skills needed to succeed in the 21st century workplace.

3. LINDA ZHAO

Thank you for sharing Pascaline! I thought the article was really interesting. The part that really stood out to me was “A majority of U.S. respondents (64 percent) agreed that higher ed wasn’t teaching “the right skills” for the current job market.” I’m surprised that so many people think that we are not learning the right skills for work. However, as I reflect on my education and work in engineering, I have to admit that my formalized education did not help me prepare for the workplace very well.Universities often incorporate a lot of theory into the curriculum but not enough practical experience for students. While I feel that my education experience has built a strong technical base to understand some of the key concepts at work, a lot of actual practical skills are learned on the job or self-taught.
    I think that the key issue with recognizing self-taught skills versus an accredited degree is credibility. We need a better way to establish or verify that an individual have learned something, even if they did it on their own. One idea I came across was using blockchain technology to verify individual’s educational experiences since it is tamper-proof and secure. It will be interesting to see how the value of education changes as technology evolves!