Get Moving.

Inspired by the A2 assignments on augmented reality and embracing the movement of 5G – I have created a page that

• Explores the features of physical literacy
  • Reviews augmented reality and 5G capabilities
  • Looks at research involved in creating and using games that enable physical movements
  • Created a pitch for a new game that stems from physical literacy

I hope you enjoy, click here or on the photo to get access.

6 responses to “Get Moving.”

1. erin duchesne

Along with everyone else, I agree that physical literacy is so important and yet getting lost among many students today. Physical activity is one thing, but physical literacy is another. Having the skills necessary to do various agility, throwing, catching and hand-eye activities allows students to jump in and play any game that their peers are participating in, even if they do not yet know the rules, they at least can learn and easily perform the necessary skills. It is so challenging and anxiety-inducing for students who want to play but do not have good physical literacy to participate in games and sports at recess, in phys ed or to try out for a school team for fear of rejection or embarrassment.

2. Wendy Mulligan

This is such a great idea! I’m seeing so many young children becoming more and more sedentary, and staring at screens for many hours per day. A game like this could satisfy their desire for gaming, while also satisfying their need for movement. Going forward, I believe that mobile games involving movement will be of increasing importance for the health of our society, as people become more and more sedentary. This is an excellent way to combine mobile technology and fitness.

3. suzzie

Lindsay;
    I LOVE this idea. I found myself nodding my head a lot as I navigated your site. The site was also set out very clearly and flowed well. I really appreciated your judicial use of embedded video to support your points. The videos you chose were informative and engaging, and helped me understand the context of your content.
    The understanding of physical literacies seemed to be implicit for me even though I had not heard the term before. As a Drama teacher, and a dancer, I completely understand the idea of learning movement skills sequentially, and how allowing our bodies to ‘learn’ movement places it in our muscle memory. I also think the connection drawn between AR, Physical Literacies and the forecasted impact of 5G was very well articulated and spot on. I would definitely play that game!
    I recall that there was a course a few summers ago at UBC about Virtual Reality and Viewpoints which is a movement improvisation system designed for dancers and adapted by actors. It would be interesting to know how AI technology might impact a project like that as well.
    Thank you for your OER it was really engaging!’Suzzie

4. Pascaline Natchedy

Hi Lindsay,
    I enjoyed reading your project and I thought you selected a great topic. Physical literacy is not a term I’m familiar with but you did a great job explaining the concept. It was also useful to provide external resources if someone wanted to dive more into a particular aspect. The idea and intentions behind the game are spot on and well thought out. Combining technology and physical activity is the best way to get young kids moving and therefore beat obesity and other related diseases. I also like that you picked different settings for each level of the game. This could be an opportunity to teach players about different cultures and form an appreciation of mother nature with the diverse landscapes and terrains.

However I wished you had provided more information on the game itself. While it was good to provide some background information to explain the need for this game, it would have been better to spend more time on elaborating on the objectives and aims of each level game. For instance, what specific tasks would players be required to perform in order to proceed to the next level? Nonetheless I think it’s an amazing idea.

5. Meipsy Shackleford

This is such a great idea! Physical Literacy is important for our students to be healthy and active. I like the idea of how you combined the current trends of technology that students would be drawn to along with physical activity. This would be a wonderful way to blend in both ideas (technology and exercise) to help students understand the importance of keeping their bodies moving instead of just playing games. We are always looking for new and creative ways to build and improve physical literacy with our students and I think your Get Moving idea could go far.

6. tyler graham

Physical literacy!! I love it!! So so so important!! I apologize for all the exclamation points, but I’m passionate about this!

I loved the choose your own adventure options at the bottom of each page.

And I really loved the game idea you proposed at the end, it was a great payoff after navigating the whole site. The aim of saving the innocence of our environment is awesome. And I totally wanna get my hands on a rhinestone of compassion!!

Great job on this. So much attention is given to academics it’s often forgotten that people need to actually move in their lives.