A3-Balance Distance in the Digital Space

We are living in a post pandemic era which will be the norm for most and important component in the professional development strategy for many colleges and universities moving forward. I have looked at current apps and future trends and platforms that are on the right track to encompassing learning online as a whole. All this while managing the distance we have. I have also developed a mockup iOS app with some of my ideas on what a classroom app could be. I have used Articulate Rise to create my assignment.

PS: re-uploaded the link due to file size to personal website and network connection.

https://theknotslanding.ca/etec523/index.html#/

Thank you!

Luke

( Average Rating: 3.5 )

7 responses to “A3-Balance Distance in the Digital Space”

1. suzzie

Hi Luke;
    What struck me most about your project was your platform! I accessed it on my laptop, and I have not yet checked to see how it displays on any of my other devices, but it was a great way to model a good method of information delivery online. I haven’t used that platform before, but I like the ease of navigation, and how it tracks your progress through the ‘lessons’. Your topic is obviously very relevant as we approach (and indeed start in my case) the new school year, and your comment about the difference between emergency online teaching and a more methodical approach struck me.
    One of the frustrations we experienced at my school were the seemingly ever-changing expectations about what our approach should be, and what was going to work best pedagogically. Our parents also wanted a clear indication that their kids were ‘in school’ when they were on their laptops, and not doing something else. As a result, we were asked to hold live video sessions for the entirety of our time-tabled class, and upload a video of the the session for students who were unable to log in. Teachers were able to find ways to make this work, and I used tools like Zooms breakout rooms to allow my students to work individually whilst still being connected to ‘class’, but there were definitely inherent problems.
    Our new term began officially today, and with our students online until an as-of-yet-unknown date, your point about the stop-gap approach got me thinking. Although some of our remote learning policies have changed, I do feel that there is still a bit of a ‘substitution’ element of our use of tech to teach remotely. I feel that we might be missing out on the opportunity to ‘re-define’ what we’re doing, and how we use mobile technology. Your project encouraged me to keep looking, not for ways I can ‘do what I do in class, but online’, but how I might completely redefine the learning in my Zoom room in order to take the most possible advantage of the opportunity.
    Your idea for Podclass was quite interesting, and I found myself wanting to know a bit more about it. I might have suggested the inclusion of some more info about the app, and even perhaps a video or audio recording of you talking about how your process went in creating that design. You clearly researched your topic, and the inclusion of all the links to the products you referred to, and to the examples were great.
    Suzzie

2. Ram

Hi Luke! Great website. I could see that you put a lot of work into making this website. It is comprehensive and contains lots of information. Your website attracted me because of its slick look, beautiful graphics, and information content but after I read it through once there was so much information at once that I had to read it again once more and then again. Your graphic “BC” Before Corana and “AD” After Disease is excellent, you could have used more of these infographics on your website. Your pick of five apps for online learning is good, Miro is new to me so I learned something new, however your free and discounted apps list was not too exciting for me. Your apps for online learning for universities are good and these apps again are new to me (maybe because I am a school teacher). I could see that your App Mockup is just the starting point of a good idea. Overall, I appreciate the amount of work you put into making the website. It looks good.

1. luke pereira

Thanks Ram for the feedback! yes since i work at the University, I was more focused on that with my research. I wish we had more time to develop a proof of concept for the app, but something I can get my teaching support team to look at and see how it works for students here. Thanks!

Luke

3. silvia chu

Great website. There was a lot of interesting information, I can see that you invested a lot of time researching this subject. I really enjoyed the pedagogical trends section. We all learn differently. You have listed so many different approaches to learning, that I might consider using these with my students. I think that the challenge might be that each individual might have their own preference, and it might not be suitable for some students. With this in mind, I wonder if these learning models are more suitable for a certain age group of students. I also work with seniors and some might not be as “adaptive” as we wish they were.

I think that the image that you posted on the B.C and A.D. was excellent. Just in a few sentenced sin explained the transition that we have made in a couple of months.

The idea of subscription learning would be more suitable for those who are willing to have more flexible learning. I wonder if universities and colleges would be willing to switch to this kind of format. It is suitable for students, but educator wise would their salaries be affected?

4. Michael Saretzky

I was quite impressed with your site. First off, you can really tell that you put quite a bit of time and research into this. Also, as you discuss the different apps I started to download them onto my phone for future research and use. Then as you went through your app I was thinking how great that would be for a middle school class too. You took a lot of the features that are missing from some of those other tools, such as Google Classroom, and added the into one place. That is one issue I have with some of the technology tools/apps for education, they are too spread out, so it would be nice to have them all in one place.

5. luke pereira

Thanks Tyler! the app was indeed something I was working for 2 weeks however, mocking an app takes time and I could have done more but it was enough to get the idea across. With regards to the summary – the teacher will eventually morph into facilitators as self learning becomes more prominent through the years.

Thanks!

Luke

6. tyler graham

I really liked the app idea you developed and I wish it had a been a lot more front and centre. There was a great deal of text to wade through to reach that nugget. The site was superbly well laid out and clearly well thought out. The images and GIFs used were selected with care and precision and those little details certainly make a site more enjoyable to engage with.

I particularly enjoyed this one from your summary page: “teachers and students can now take active roles in the sharing of knowledge and shaping their own learning”. Anything that puts educators and pupils on the same level is great by me.

And I also really liked reading about higher education as subscription model – that would be awesome!!