Introduction – Danika Strecko

Hi everyone! I’m Danika Strecko, my pronouns are she/her. I live and work in Vancouver on the ancestral territory of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səl̕ilwətaʔɬ (Tsleil – Waututh) people. This is my first semester in the MET program. I am taking this course and ETEC 500.

I have Bachelor of Science and Education from UBC where I focused my studies on biology and physics integrated sciences and IB MYP secondary school teaching. After being a TTOC and classroom teacher in SD44 and SD41 I joined Ocean Wise in the Education department developing and managing the online learning and ocean literacy programs.

As an educator, I value having the opportunity to inspire others to get involved with sustainability and conservation by studying marine life and reducing geographic barriers to connecting to the ocean through digital media.

Developing a better understanding of mobile technologies and how educators can create engagement on platforms and social media that learners are already using each day is one of the things I am looking forward to in this course.

One response to “Introduction – Danika Strecko”

1. LoriMeville

Hi Danicka. I’d love to hear more about what you do for Ocean Wise. I teach biology and am fascinated with marine life and tide pools, but (sigh) I teach far away from an ocean. I like what you said about reducing geographic barriers and wouldn’t it be fantastic to use mobile technology to do so? I have students who have never been to the ocean and I do my best to try to bring the ocean to them, but don’t do nearly as much (or as well) as I’d like.