Hi everyone!

Hi there!

My name is Seo-Whi Kwon (pronounced saw wee) and I am a high school Science and Math teacher in Edmonton, Alberta. This is my first year in the MET program and ETEC 523 would be my second (or third) course-I am taking 510 this term as well.

I was born in South Korea but I’ve been living in Alberta for most of my life. As it’s mostly cold and snowy here, I am big into snowboarding and going to the mountains every chance I get. That’s obviously been difficult this season because of everything that’s going on so I’ve been trying to find other things to keep myself busy during the winter break. I also love to travel and I can’t wait to be able to do that again.

Winter of 2019
Me in Vatican City, 5 years ago.

I currently teach at a public school that has been doing online teaching for about 25 years (way before COVID)! We have a big group of students who are already familiar with online schooling versus a “newer” group of students who are learning as they go. I have to say, this school year has been definitely interesting but I am loving every moment of it. During my 5 years of teaching experience, I have always been comfortable using technology and trying new things, and I am excited to learn more about mobile learning in this course. I am also passionate about ELL (English Language Learners or ESL) support and how technology can be utilized to help them with their learning process.

I look forward to learning with you all 🙂

6 responses to “Hi everyone!”

1. Wynn Zhang

Hi Seo-Whi! It’s nice to meet you. As a vancouverite, I always wanted to Snowboard in the rockys! I teach a Mandarin Immersion program, so I’m also really interested in how technology can support learning a second language.

1. Seo-Whi Kwon

Hi Wynn, it’s nice to meet you as well!
      That’s awesome! So I assume most of your students’ native language is Mandarin? I look forward to exploring this area throughout this course and working with you!

2. erin duchesne

Hi Seo-Whi,
    I am also from Edmonton and am teaching online this year due to Covid. I would love to chat more about what tips you have for teaching online.

1. Seo-Whi Kwon

Hi Erin,
      Nice to meet you!
      Absolutely! I teach grades 9-12 and I don’t have a lot of experience with elementary but feel free to reach out anytime. My personal email is sewhi@ualberta.ca.

3. lyndsay barrett

It’s nice to meet you, Seo-Whi!
    How have you found the students who were already used to online schooling have adapted to the challenges this year?

1. Seo-Whi Kwon

Hi Lyndsay,
      It’s nice to meet you too!
      My students have actually been really appreciative of how things haven’t really “changed” for them. However, they have a bit of a different background in education than students coming from a brick and mortar school and it was interesting to see their interaction.