Introductions: Neill McCallum

Hello Everyone!

My name is Neill and am just starting up with the MET program!

I work as a high school educator and teacher consultant (with a focus on sustainability) in Richmond, BC.

When I am not teaching or enjoying family time with my wife and kids I like documenting nature (pictures/video), gardening and running home projects (currently testing out a worm farm to turn food scraps into fertilizer for plant food).

Thanks to the pandemic I think I can make a pretty good loaf of bread!

You can also find me on Twitter, Instagram and most recently Youtube.

8 responses to “Introductions: Neill McCallum”

1. Evelyne Tsang

HI Neill, I just followed you on Instagram! I love the photos that you share; I’ve just come out of the ETEC565e course on storytelling and energy (and environment). Your instagram is the type of online connection that cropped up often in the course discussions – grassroots is one way to spread empathy for our Earth. I look forward to learning with you – and thanks for sharing the bread recipe!

1. neill mccallum

Hi Evelyne,

That’s really interesting to hear the topic came up in the course you took!

2. LoriMeville

Hi Neill. I just watched your spider video and had a captivated 12-year-old watching over my shoulder. Great video! I look forward to your perspective in this course.
    Lori

1. neill mccallum

Hi Lori,

That’s great! Videos like the spider one usually get one of two reactions, “Gross! Why would you post that?!” or “Awesome! Show me more!”

3. johannes dirk wielenga

Hey Neill, nice to meet you. I hope I can learn something about taking photos just by looking at yours because those are all very well shot in my opinion! Is that loaf of bread in the picture one that you baked? I ask because, I mean, I kinda took up bread baking during Covid as well… but yea my bread don’t look like that lol.

1. neill mccallum

Hello Johannes,

Thank you for the positive comments! The photo is of a pumpkin bread (not the loaf) that was my latest attempt. Here is the recipe if you interested to try! https://thestayathomechef.com/braided-pumpkin-bread/

4. elixa neumann

Those are some amazing pictures!
    What a great place to live and teach to build focus around sustainable practices! Are you looking to take the masters to explore connections between educational technology and sustainable practices/understanding in education?
    Looking forward to learning with you!
    Elixa

1. neill mccallum

Hello Elixa,

I would love to do just that!