AR/VR application and Education

Wikiup – Using AR to Enhance Narratives of History and Place,

Mr Juliano Ng write-up on AR and its application to education intrigued my interest. I have always been interested in technology and often dream of what the future will hold for my grandchildren. I also want my children and grandchildren to experience cultural activities and sacred sites in our territory. In March of 2018, a futuristic movie was release and of course the nerd in me brought the entire family to the theatre. “Ready Player One,” developed a futuristic world of AR and VR into one virtual world. The movie ignited the old hamster running wheel into a variety of thoughts and ideas. The possibility of creating a world that students in Social Studies can visit. I immediately started searching the internet and Youtube for any possible projects. I narrowed my search to specific keys words: VR, education, field trip, indigenous and technology. After sifting through the results of my search and came across a site that developed a system for a combo AR/VR application.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iDFLjxuAbM

The system uses a drone technology to virtually map a particular geographic area. Once the drone transfers the information collected, it is then converted into a 3D 360 degree model of the area. My original thought of sharing sacred sites with students without leaving the classroom became a reality. On a side note, the school I currently work at has approved a purchase for a VR/AR 3D table; however, it will take some time before the school will receive the table.

One response to “AR/VR application and Education”

1. alexei peter dos santos

I share your thought of exploring sacred sites with students without leaving the classroom, Tyrone. VR/AR 3 table has limitless potential in education. Imagine children in kindergarten observing prehistoric animals. How much more comfortable it to explain mathematical formulas, such as geometry, with the advent of the hologram table.