One response to “I don’t do DATA”

1. toby beck

Evelyn, I think you reinforce some good points, asking how we are purposeful with our technology use.

As we all know, it is a double edged sword with pro’s and cons’. I like your phrase, “pick it up and put it away”.

I think the points you make are important questions for designers of the future to ask: “what are the unforeseen consequences that may arise from designing X?’

If we go back to Professor Vogt’s provocation of transhuman tools, we can be mindful of the negative consequences or how we want to be purposeful with these new technologies and how they are shaping our behaviours, individually and as a society. For instance, how has social media acted to spread misinformation and how damaging has that been to our society?

Or, consider this. My son who is in grade 3 and in a Distributed Learning program this year, just completed all of grade 3 by the end of January. Now what? Do we go on to grade 4? Does this create a domino effect where he ends up graduating at 15? Then what? Or do we spend the rest of the year on great learning that is not in the curriculum?

Could a transhuman tool be; finding other kids who are looking for enrichment outside of the traditional curriculum? Maybe not quite. What if the tool was similar to allowing you to plug into a hive mind of advanced learners in a certain specialty? And how does this avoid creating inequality again? What other aspects of empathy of others does this miss?