AR learning with 5G

With the current internet, AR application is possible for classroom learning. However, the number of devices to be connected is very limited. Typically, 10 is the maximum. Over 10, the flow would be very bumpy. However, with 5G and more base stations, the much better speed and density, everyone in a class could be connected and tailor their learnings.

Here is a video of our most popular products, which was developed for K3 students to learn earth and geography in class. However, with the speed and density limitation, it is now more like a family game and self-learning tool. Parents buy a toolkit for the kids, assembled it into a “target”, with which, installed AR application could teach all earth-related topics. Adding more stickers onto the earth, more AR learning programs could be pulled from the updated database. Enjoy!

Imagine, with 5G, every kid could pick their own interesting topic and tailor their studies in class. I could also imagine that one day, with 5G speedy calculation, learners could connect to the AR database and DIY their only learning pathway.

3 responses to “AR learning with 5G”

1. EmilyChen

Thanks for sharing this post! I think the potential of AR/VR for education is great, especially with 5G networks. I have some AR APPs downloaded on my mobile device and my daughter of 5 years old love playing on it. But I do also notice that the novelty of AR APPs wear off quite quickly and she moves on. I think it’s because a lot of these AR APPS are limited in what they can continue to do. A lot of them focus on the “wow” factor, but when children want to future explore something, or they have to rely on a teacher or a parent to help guide them through the APP. I am fascinated by AR technology, and I look forward to more and more good tools developed for classroom use.

Here’s another APP that you might be interested in. It’s called Bookful, a reading APP which uses AR technology:
    https://www.readbrightly.com/bookful-reading-app/

1. nini mao

Hi Emily

You have raised THE “crucial pain point” of current AR APPs and AR education. With current 4G infrastructure, almost all AR APPs work only locally, meaning all contents need to be downloaded to the device and then work with updates. In this way, it is very difficult to develop complicated contents or instant-feedbacks to users. This resulted in fun-start-no-follow-up trap.

So, I am hoping, when 5G comes, all AR APP would be connected to central database, receive instant feedback and even tailor learning modules for users.

Your sharing of book reading APP is really well designed! Thanks a lot!

2. BrittanyHack

I really like this video Nini. Though many of these AR technologies can be run off of 4G networks, it is important to make that distinction of how 5G network would run many of these devices simultaneously. Thanks for sharing this video to show us what AR can do and the explaining the possibilities of many of these devices running on a 5G network.