A1 – Gamified Language Learning APPs

People have been using language APPs to learn new languages for many years. In recent years, gamified language learning APPs have been more and more popular for young learners between the age of 3-8. In China especially, many are starting their child on online English classes early. For my A1, I’ve decided to analyze some app functions used in three popular language APPs for children:

(1) Teach Your Monster to Read, launched in 2013

(2) LingoKids, launched in 2015

(3) Khan Academy Kids, launched in 2018

The analysis video is embedded in this website I made: https://spark.adobe.com/page/51fmOK6cJgVO4/

( Average Rating: 4.5 )

3 responses to “A1 – Gamified Language Learning APPs”

1. graham herrick

Hi Emily, I enjoyed your video, and I think you covered many important aspects surrounding language learning applications. I found your specific topic interesting as I worked as a developer for a major English learning platform here in China for many years. The aspects you discussed came up time and time again during my work. There is no doubt the convenience and affordability of such applications is a major selling point for parents who subscribe. In addition, gamification keeps young learners interested and engaged. The games become more complex and varied as technology progresses, providing learners with a large database of differentiation. It is interesting how the applications all seem to intertwine the learning, games, quizzes, goals and rewards into a story or quest. Perhaps another example of how effective storytelling is for learning, even through the lens of mobile technology. Many applications even offer rewards and bonuses for continued studying, especially here in China. The user or their parents can redeem prizes or even money for successful application use by scanning QR codes, not sure if this benefits the actual learning. Still, it often keeps users on the application for long periods of time. One interesting trend that is now occurring in these applications is a blend of one-to-one classes and mobile AI applications. In these “AI Classes,” students participate in small groups using mobile applications with a “live” teacher, who guides them through the course. However, the teacher is not actually “live.” The teaching aspects of the class are all prerecorded, and responses will vary depending on the students’ answers. Here the teacher can also provide extra help. For example, if 3/4 of the students got the wrong answer, the AI will direct the class to review the content with further slides, and the teacher will go over the concept again.
    Recent government legislation has created massive upheaval in the private education industry for those who follow education in China. Many once huge education companies have literally gone bankrupt. In addition, to the dismay of many parents, online or in-person classes for children outside of school in subjects such as English have basically become prohibited. With such legislation, apps like the ones you suggest are bound to become more heavily invested in, and we should see such technology expand at an even more rapid pace. It will be interesting to see what the future holds and what other types of technology (AR/VR) will become integrated into such applications.

2. Trista Ding

Thank you for sharing your insight and analysis on popular gamified English learning Apps! Your video is very informative and well-organized. There’s no doubt that these apps are very successful in teaching young learners the skills as well as keeping them entertained. However, I have the same question around to what extent these applications could replicate conversational language. Like you mentioned in the video, language learning is not merely about letters or vocabulary. Being able to communicate with others and gather information is the ultimate goal for any language learner. I know that a lot of parents in China are also choosing one-on-one online English classes with native speakers through different companies and platforms (e.g. VIPKids) to help their kids learn. I wonder if combing the two would provide the students with a more authentic and complete experience in using the langue.

3. Shirley Shi

Hi Emily,

I like your video so much because of its clear narrative, lighthearted pictures and rhythm. I am surprised there would have been 75% of parents in China starting their children to learn English before the age of 5. I think I am one of those 75%. Over ten years ago, my son started learning English by watching animations. We watched together, such as Teletubbies and Thomas the Tank Engineers. My son liked Teletubbies far more than Thomas. I guess, it is because Teletubbies more easily allowed him to connect the language in the video with real life contexts. I agree with you that gamified English learning Apps are supplement to face-to-face teaching methods for toddlers to learn a foreign language.

By the way, it looks like Kahan Academic Kids and Teach You Monster to Read are not available in the Apple App of China.