A1: I Just Really Like the Stock!

Hey all, I bit off more than I could chew with this project – I realize I went WAY over the time limit, but figured that out just a few hours before midnight so I just doubled down and ran with it. I decided to use Adobe Spark thinking that it would be more robust than it ended up being, but I would still recommend the software depending on what you want to do with it, and I will definitely be using it in the future (but still, pretty disappointing how bare-bones even the paid version is, which I used a trial for). IMO the video gets better as it goes along, so don’t dip out early 😉

( Average Rating: 4.5 )

4 responses to “A1: I Just Really Like the Stock!”

1. BrittanyHack

Johannes:
    I can tell you really like the stock XD. This video also is very applicable to a mobile first perspective.

1. johannes dirk wielenga

Thanks, Brittany, and yes I agree – I think it’s a great topic to showcase how mobile tech disrupts an established field using more traditional tech, especially because of how quickly it has all come about. A true disruption.

2. michael meroniuk

This is definitely very applicable to the world right now. I’ve been using Wealthsimple for a while and I honestly love it and I would never want to work with a bank after having the level of control that the app offers. I’m curious if the number of active stock traders will change after Covid is over and people are out and about and have access to casinos. The wealth of information online via Reddit and Youtube is amazing, however, it’s crazy to think of how much impact “influencers” have over the market. This is extremely apparent in the current crypto space. I’m curious do you think this should be taught in school with the actual stock apps? Would it even be possible due to privacy? I know there are many day late-stock trainers that we have access to. But do those really provide the same learning experience as students can easily manipulate them? Anyways great job!

1. johannes dirk wielenga

Hey Michael, thanks for the comment. It will indeed be interesting to see if people stay involved after Covid, my guess is yes, because we won’t ever go back to how things were before, and one small piece of the society we are evolving into includes the democratization of the stock market (though this was exactly what people thought in the 90s when stock trading became much more affordable for the retail investor – and then the dot com bubble burst and many people were quickly turned off of stocks again, so something like that could happen again). It’s true that there is an ever expanding amount of information about how to invest in the stock market, though I find that it’s much like trying to learn to play music via youtube videos – there is just too much info out there and it’s very difficult to know what information is worthwhile and what isn’t, not to mention needing to know how to link from one topic to another on your own. Good question about teaching it in school: personally, I think teaching this sort of topic in secondary school would be interesting no doubt, but also the course might attract a lot of dreamers and might set a lot of people up for early disaster. That said, many schools these days offer “choice” programs, where 1 hour a week students can join any course a teacher decided to host that day… I can see a small curriculum being set up around those parameters (for the record I am not a Math teacher and suck at math so don’t pay attention to what’s going on in that department – perhaps some schools already offer courses centred on investing, I don’t know.