VR in Indigenous Language

The one question that has been plagued my growth as an educator is, ‘how to transfer traditional ancient knowledge via technology?’  In other words, the application of technology infused with traditional cultural and language content.  Digital video or other movie making platforms is a basic foundation for most Indigenous communities across North American.  In my opinion, it is clearly not enough to save languages or cultures from a growing globalized culture.  The introduction of MTV and North American pop culture has tight grip on technology and indigenous youth who are looking for a place in society.  Identity has been an issue for decades because of the loss of language and culture. 

From my perspective, it is more important and relevant to look forward rather than examining the past; however, the past does hold keys for the future.  The Blackfoot Confederacy has created several mobile apps for language development in schools and the community.  The ideology behind the development of Blackfoot language apps was built in hope that technology will attract a young generation.  Unfortunately, gaming, VR and AR are more attractive to youth in all walks of life.  I have come to understanding that VR and AR are the next steps in land-based education as well as the revitalization of languages. 

The following video is a basic journey of understanding and the comprehension the possibility of VR/AR in language development.  I was very excited to learn that many Indigenous communities are researching VR/AR platform.  In 2016, the Cree School Board in northern Quebec, developed cutting edge (cutting edge at the time) VR Cree language and syllabic software for the sole purpose of targeting youth.  The analysis of their program and how it can be applied to assist other Indigenous communities is a key focus. 

( Average Rating: 4.5 )

2 responses to “VR in Indigenous Language”

1. jennifer r

Hi Tyrone,

Even though you mentioned the technology developed by the Cree school board as being new at that time, I was still blown away by it’s current potential. I agree with you that one has to be in the context and the shoes of a person who holds the culture and the language, in order to learn it. This is proven by when people learn faster when living abroad, in a community where their native language is not spoken, and embracing another culture. All of your references looked very interesting, your list at the end made me want to read every source! Great job!

Jen

2. BrittanyHack

Tyrone, this is awesome. This is the first digital artifact I have seen in my entire program that deals with VR and Indigenous Languages. Your educational reflection is very significant to an indigenous perspective, which is outside of Westernized perspectives of what technology should be. Your lens fits well into what is called Culturally Responsive Teaching. This is very fresh and insightful knowledge to the A1 section of ETEC 523.