3 responses to “What 3 Words”

1. BrittanyHack

This is a great analysis of W3W Lori.

As much as the class has been in discussions about the great tech developments in mobile, not much has been posted on the limitations and negative aspects of mobile use. Though we may have not dived as far into this discussion for this term, it does not mean that the discussion should end here. A critical analysis of any mobile device is essential for this blog. So thanks for breaking the ice to its fullest with your analysis of W3W.

2. Evelyne Tsang

Hi Lori,
    I appreciate how you shared your thoughts on this app, from excitement to revision. The ability to see the needs beyond the glitter is one more skill to teach our students.
    I also wonder if we are too quick to hand over our cognitive abilities to devices. My dad is able to give the geolocation (latitude/longitude) of major cities around the world. My aunt knows all her appointments and times for medication for herself and her husband. My best friend prefers choosing a date, time and place to meet up and will not use an SMS for a last minute change.
    When we cycled across Canada (for our honeymoon!) we used sporadic access to the internet and lots of postcards to keep in touch with our families. We left our phones behind!
    It could be interesting to have students plan an adventure – camping, traveling, or other activity, first with and then without their mobile devices. Perhaps by comparing their own self-reliance to their device-reliance, they can determine the minimum apps they truly need, which would also improve the functionality of their devices!

1. LoriMeville

Hi Evelyne,
      I am impressed that you biked all the way across Canada without your devices. My husband’s original plan was just to check in once a day, but his parents’ peace of mind won out and he agreed to use the SPOT device. He has always said that when we retire from teaching, his smartphone is going to get chucked in the ocean, but I wonder if it will be possible in the next decade to live without a mobile device? So many of our daily interactions are now through apps and there is an expectation to be connected. When our community was evacuated in 2017 due to the wildfires, the Canadian Red Cross volunteers kept referring many of our older residents who normally did not use the internet to their website for information and expected them to log into the site and use online banking to receive their compensation money. This resulted in a large percentage of people who were frustrated and unable to receive much needed relief.