8 responses to “PreciseWebMed (PWM)”

1. Wynn Zhang

Hi Alexei

I think your idea for this app is wonderful. I can imagine that it could allow people without access to immediate medical advice to be able to connect with someone that could be a huge benefit to their life. As someone who never have used telemedical services, I can imagine the benefits that it could brain to have universal healthcare access for all and the comfort and security of having an on-demand medical tool that could help in case of emergencies.

As A3 is about futuristic technology, I’m wondering what your app has to offer to compete with established healthcare apps such as Akira: Healthcare On-Demand or Maple – 24/7 Online Doctors? While having an app to have early diagnosis is great, what is the prerogative to use this instead of just connect with a web physician immediately?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=md.akira
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maplenativeuser

2. nini mao

Hi Alexel,

This is a great app to be developed! People really need that to shorten their waiting time and also to provide a preliminary idea of their situation.

I am thinking, if it could be mobilized, it might be connected with other mobile devices, such as a smart watch to help monitor heartbeats or blood pressure.

As an educator, I have a question from education mindset – how is this app connected with education or impact learning?

3. jennifer r

Hi Alexei,

I think that this app would bring down the anxiety of a lot of people suffering from illness. As you’ve showcased, it also allows individuals to book their own appointments with specialists, instead of having to wait 6 months for your referral to be accepted from your GP. There is a similar program here in Calgary, but it does not involve mobile technology. Here, you can call a certain phone number where you will tell a nurse your symptoms and if your symptoms require medical attention, the nurse books your appointment at a particular clinic that only services patients who have booked this way. I used the service once and I was shocked by how streamlined it was. One question I have about this app is whether or not there is a potential for mistakes to be made regarding diagnosis. If a patient experienced a pain in the chest as ‘shortness of breath’, and they entered their symptom incorrectly, would they lose the opportunity for medical attention? I understand that the subjectivity of sensations could happen even without technology as a mediator.

Jen

1. Ying Gu

Hi Jennifer,

That’s a really good point, that without a doctor seeing a patient face-to-face, there is no opportunity to clarify symptoms. Even the understanding of some feelings may differ from person to person. For example, “dizzy” could mean spinning vision, vertigo, nausea, etc. An app would have to be really clear about what the symptoms feel like for a user to correctly select them.

1. alexei peter dos santos

Hi Ying Gu,
        That is a great point. It is important to understand that Precisewebmed (PWM) is about precision during a health journey rather than scheduling appointments for medical emergencies. Your example (dizzy) illustrates a symptom that demands sharply face-to-face evaluation. However, if a patient already has a Labyrinthitis diagnosis (a benign condition described as an inflammation of the labyrinth or inner ear), PWM can be used to search an Otolaryngologist. And more, specialized clinics in Labyrinthitis can offer their services through the PWM. But, this web app is not for medical emergencies.

2. alexei peter dos santos

Hi Jennifer
      Thank you for your question. This web app focuses on people in need of outpatient consultation, medical emergencies that need face-to-face evaluation. However, we can make this condition clear at the opening of the APP. For example, description of signs and symptoms that require E.R. evaluation as the front page of the APP. However, this interface starts with awareness about a specific subject as cancer prevention. Cancer prevention never requires an E.R. evaluation.

4. BrittanyHack

Hi Alexie:

This is brilliant. Telehealth is a huge areas for innovation. I can see how PWM would be very beneficial for preventative health. To have access to your own medical information, medical assessment tools, booking appointments with your doctor etc. would be very beneficial to the health of the patient and health care system as a whole. The only thing I am really curious about is if your perspective would be for the public or private sector. I inquire about this because would think that this apps service delivery would be different. I have provided this link for you to look at to consider the sectors differences. It’s very short. If you have a moment, please watch it and tell me if your understanding of the health app you mentioned would change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0inilUp_UNQ

1. alexei peter dos santos

Hi Brittany,
      Thank you for the compliment. I watched the video that you suggested, and I wholeheartedly agree with Dr. Michio Kaku. Precisewebmed is only a small piece of this giant puzzle. This project is already being designed in Brazil for the private sector. Our pilot project is to help people with chronic back pain to find a specific treatment. For example, a few questions about chronic back pain may indicate whether the pain is predominantly inflammatory or degenerative. Inflammatory back pain is best assessed by the rheumatologist.
      PWM links this condition to a specific medical specialty. A small sample of Dr. Kaku’s predictions