3 responses to “Makecode Arcade: Accessible game design”

1. Erica Hargreave

Thanks for the link to MakeCode Arcade, Brendan. I ran first digital game design camp for kids in the summer, so am always on the look out for more kid friendly game design platforms.

Two comment of yours that I am curious about. The first, “cartoon sprites and backgrounds betray that this is but a child’s plaything, and not a ‘real game’”. This left me a bit at a loss, as many adult and all ages games utilize cartoons as well, including those created by adults. Rather than being subjective about the look, the questions that ring through my head are is this tool meeting my goals in encouraging digital game design in the classroom, what game design elements are missing in this tool, as the kids grow and want greater challenges and to be building towards creating on professional game engines, what other game design platforms will help to facilitate that?

In terms of your comment that, “The great thing about game design is that in this day and age all students are gamers to some degree.” This was true when we were kids too, and when our parent were kids. The new element here is the addition of digital games.

In case you are curious, the platform the kids and I predominantly used this past summer for our game design camp was Elementari, which is a interactive storytelling platform that I personally love. Here’s a link: https://elementari.com/

1. brendan stanford

Hi Erica,

Thanks for your comment and the resource you shared, and you indeed raise some valuable critiques. In terms of the “cartoon sprites and background”, of course there are many adult games, TV shows and other forms of media that are based on cartoons, and I will concede this doesn’t not inherently make Scratch a child’s platform, however, I have found that for Middle years students, the user interface itself appears “child-like” from the bright colours, happy characters and warm environments. Scratch is actually the platform I have previously been the most successful with and I appreciate how effectively it employs similar language to text-based programming languages so that students can transition to them when they are ready; my struggle has been that I haven’t yet found an effective intermediary step between block-based on text-based programming yet (perhaps blocks that require more specific syntax?).

Your point about gaming across the generations is of course correct; my comment was more concerning digital gamers specifically.

2. Anna Ayoung-Stoute

Hello Brendan,

Thank you for raising coding. Since I am interested in learning how to code, and the tutorial will be helpful. Nevertheless, I believe that code literacy is the literacy that needs to be introduced in classrooms. And Gamification is an excellent approach since it is engaging. Students have the opportunity to learn and will enjoy the experience. As you mentioned, they have the option to design a version of their game. Coding literacy should be introduced in K-12 classrooms.