A1 – Brainly: Next-Gen Tutors

The merging of technologies is redefining classrooms, schools and the education process where learning and teaching are undergoing unprecedented transformations. One such transformation is that Open Educational Resources are finally getting their due credit; OERs support more equitable learning environments, provide flexibility, and positively impact learning outcomes (Neiffer, 2018). Brainly OER has gained international interest, with over 30 mission users of its mobile app (Google App Reviews). Marketed as a “24/7” homework helper, students can log on at any time from anywhere and get help with their homework. 

– When School is Out, Brainly is On –

Brainly: The 24/7 Homework Helper

I encourage you to view my infographic [linked above] and familiarize yourself with the broader learning concepts that Brainly has to offer as an OER mobile app. Once you have viewed the analysis please share your thoughts in the discussion below. Is it fair to claim Brainly is the next generation of tutoring?

( Average Rating: 4.5 )

2 responses to “A1 – Brainly: Next-Gen Tutors”

1. miguel rojas ortega

Thank you for sharing this fabulous information and info graphics. I absolutely agree with all the points you covered and analyzed, my only thoughts are regarding an individuals ability to independently learn using this app. Is there research that shows the gap between user age? For example, would a child who needs help with math vs. an adult that also needs help with math, be assisted in the same way with this technology? Would the child know what to do with what the app is showing without further detail explanations. As an adult and life learner I can say that this app would work miracles. However, as a teacher I have seen how most people often need a tutor to help them understand how to learn something rather then helping to know the information. I find this app would be good if someone knows how to self learn and can understand chat bots, or someone that knows how to interact with online tutors by asking the right questions to lead to an answer. What are your thoughts on this?

1. TeganSoros

Hi Miguel, thank you for your feedback and for your clarification questions. You are correct in assuming that a learner would have to be at an appropriate age and/or possess a certain amount of technical literacies to use this app most effectively. Users must be at least 13-years or older to create an account on Brainly; If younger, Brainly recommends using the applications with the support of an older peer/guardian. Brainly estimates that the majority of students 13-years or older can effectively navigate their features and ask the right type of questions to get the support they need. They use AI and human moderators to assist in this process; if answers are not adequate, both the AI and moderators can point a learner in the right direction by suggesting other ways to reform the question. Brainly is continuing to develop AI to streamline this process even further. What had me most excited about Brainly (and other apps out there with similar technologies) is the potential to support personalized learning. It is one thing for users to search for answers using Khan Academy (not a dig at that wonderful OER) but these “online tutors” take the learning to another level with the direct questioning features.