Create your own app with Apper!

For my A1 project, I decided to explore Apper, an app creator tool!

For this assignment, I chose to build a step-by-step video to display the application’s key features and share a concrete example using this course as my model. 

Hope you enjoy!

( Average Rating: 4.5 )

13 responses to “Create your own app with Apper!”

1. Sam Charles (He/Him/His)

Awesome job Joëlle! Well-designed presentation, and obvious based on the comments so far and my experience, you have inspired many of us to develop our own apps through Apper.
    I particularly liked your example, and I hope for future iterations of ETEC 523 that it be considered (specifically your designed approach). The only thing missing from your ETEC 523 app is an RSS feed that updates automatically with the latest posts. It could perhaps include notifications for new posts as well.

1. Joëlle Ferlatte

Hi Sam! Thank you! I completely agree, notifications for new posts and also for new comments on your own posts would be a great way to keep track of the discussions that are going on!

2. benjamin coulombe

Great job, Joëlle! I have always wanted to try to build my own app so I will definitely give this a try. It was a great idea connecting the application to our course as it still maintained its mobile-first objective but seemed to streamline the sections into a more user friendly model. I am curious what tool you used for the recording? I have been playing around with a few screen capture tools and none of them have seemed to produce anything as polished as your presentation.

1. Joëlle Ferlatte

Hi Ben!
      I used Powtoon! Voiceovers can be recorded directly from the site which makes it practical! However, to access all its feature you need to pay a monthly or yearly subscription.

3. Sarah Ng

Thank you for sharing this application. I haven’t heard of this nor do I have any confidence in developing my own application. This would be great if individual work departments would like to create and app to host all training tutorials!

1. Joëlle Ferlatte

Hi Sarah!
      Without coding, it is user-friendly and a good starting point to test out some ideas!

4. analesa crooks-eadie

Thanks for sharing, I have never used this before but I am definitely going to explore it, I like that it is so easy to use and there’s no coding element! Your presentation along with the explainer video was well done, what did you use?
    The only thing I would add is the disadvantage of using this app, I am also curious about who the main competitors are in this market?

1. Joëlle Ferlatte

Hi Analesa !
      I had debated adding a disadvantage section. Here are a few that I had contemplated sharing. After the free-trial, you have to pay monthly for your app to remain available. Some might also think that it might be too simple and the only personalization is the color and menu style. However, this is what I liked about Apper after exploring other options. I tried Firebase, Bubble and Swing2app but I found them to be complicated and confusing. I was actually surprised how few user-friendly options are out there!

2. Joëlle Ferlatte

I forgot to mention, I used Powtoon for the video!

5. elizabeth berger

And, forgot to mention, it’s a great idea to put this course into an app. It would be interesting to test that!

6. elizabeth berger

Thanks for this explainer video – well done! It seems like Apper is easy to use for someone, such as myself, who knows very little about physically producing an app. (I always assumed we would need coding). Did you have any challenges with it? How would you compare it to other App development tools?

1. elizabeth berger

Thanks for this explainer video – well done! It seems like Apper is easy to use for someone, such as myself, who knows very little about physically producing an app. (I always assumed we would need coding). Did you have any challenges with it? How would you compare it to other App development tools? And, forgot to mention, great idea to put this course into an app. It would be interesting to test that!

1. Joëlle Ferlatte

Hi Elizabeth!
        I also knew very little about app design, therefore I wanted to select an app builder that was used-friendly and without coding. I tried Firebase, an app creator backed by Google, however I found it to be way too complicated. I was running into some similar issues with Bubble, another app builder that insists it is simple to use, but found it had too many steps and is also confusing. I think they were more suitable for corporate and start-ups. As a high school teacher, I wanted something my students could use to create a project or I could use to build my course. Apper was exactly what I was looking for, a simple and clean user-friendly design, there were no particular challenges I faced while using it!