Virtual Reality and its therapeutic application

VR or Virtual Reality has rapidly developed into a force majeur in education and therapy.  Applied in learning and at present, as a largely exploratory tool in health, specifically mental Health, this  presentation is designed to introduce the history and design behind VR.   

From my perspective as a Healthcare professional facing both the anxieties of a Covid pandemic population as well as escalating suicide attempts among young Inuit from Nunavik, Quebec, and consistently high dropout rates in education,  this video presented an interesting overall introduction to the novice and does not flinch from acknowledging new challenges arising over the last two years in Canada.  

Research and Evidence-based findings are benchmarks which support all new therapies. This presentation attempts to clarify the role of VR today, seen from a positive perspective. Based upon my own research in VR and psychiatric research, this presentation does not address the unknown variables which occur with VR, and, of note,  are dependent upon the program used and projections which impact the user, mentally and emotionally.  

Neuroplasticity is an area of brain function which has been deemed to be that part of the brain subject to greater development. Examples are Alzheimer’s Disease in the elderly as well as  learning for the cognitively challenged, at all ages. With a carefully designed and relatively benign design, research has demonstrated how effective VR can be.  

From another perspective, related to my research project looking at suicide in young Inuit, the presentation could have addressed both proof of in-depth awareness and analysis of the more powerful aspects of VR.  

In a final analysis, VR is able to stimulate areas of the brain which are still being measured, in other words, unknown variable. . Considering these facts, it is vital that ethics in combination with neuroplasticity and emotional fragility must be explored along side the exciting world of VR 

Word Count 720.  

( Average Rating: 4.5 )

5 responses to “Virtual Reality and its therapeutic application”

1. Sarah Ng

I was just talk about this with my colleagues at work! I am so amazed how we have this medical advancement and it is proven to be so beneficial to those who need it. From our conversation, I found it interesting to see some colleagues appreciate VR or AR when it is applied to medical procedures or treatments, but not in a regular work setting.

2. sheena outerbridge sjoberg

Hi Olivia
    thanks for this. Your comment on communication and brain functioning as related to face-to face is one that definitely requires more research. While many older adults struggle to learn the basics of computers, many others are skilled at various communication skills such as Facetime and Skype, ( although there are loads out there now ) Either way, I think in the reality of technilogy, core questions and issues remain which are often ignored,. These are costs of equipment, maintenance of same and for many in remote regions in Canada and globally, the ease of access to Internet usage , and less we forget, the cost which can be daunting to elders on fixed incomes.

3. miguel rojas ortega

At the school I work at we have 3 new VR rooms that are being used by different teachers for different activities. The Wellness and Mindfulness teacher, and friend, has incorporated the use of VR for student therapy. She has made her students write reflections after each experience and the results are astonishing. Students love the idea of using such intricate advanced technology and love the idea of being somewhere else, somewhere abstract and away from reality. They find the experience rewarding and come out filling like this type of therapy does cause a difference in their wellbeing. They all say they look forward every week for their turn and they wished they had one at home. I read through a few pf the journals to respond to this post and hope many schools also start incorporating this into the curriculum.

1. sheena outerbridge sjoberg

Hi Miguel
      Thanks for your response. Your identification of the ease and seductiveness ( colloquial ) of VR in a positive setting among students for Wellness and Mindfullness is spot on!. I can defintely agree with you. I also think you have hinted at the deeper aspects of VR where ethics and advanced knowledge of neurological functioning must remain a keypoint in how VR is designed and presented, especially consideration of age group, underlying problems and other health/ pscyho-social aspects.
      Much appreciated:)

4. Olivia Tarasewicz

Hi Sheena, great video! I just learned about VR therapy in ETEC 512. It’s very interesting a promising. I was also reminded of an article I read earlier this summer about how seniors still need face-to-face interaction despite being able to connect online. Just another point of view on the topic: https://bc.ctvnews.ca/social-needs-of-older-adults-can-t-be-met-by-technology-alone-says-new-covid-19-research-1.5531892