A3: Writers Help

This resource investigates the need for, and the design and development of, a mobile application that would assist teachers in making their teaching, as well as their students’ learning more enjoyable in terms of the context in which the learning takes place. Click here to access WRITERS HELP

Check out my introduction video below:

( Average Rating: 3.5 )

8 responses to “A3: Writers Help”

1. Sarah Ng

Hi Analesa, I thought your idea really intrigued me. I grew up not liking writing and I felt like the teachers that I had were always critiquing something about my writing – ideas and grammar. Throughout my English classes, I felt like teachers were not consistent with what they were looking for in a piece of writing. One year it would be imaginative content, another year is grammar, and then another about concrete information. As a student I felt confused with what writing is supposed to be. I’m glad that teachers can have this wealth of information shared literally around the world and they can gather what works and what didn’t with each other. I’m surprised that teachers don’t have a lesson plan bank that is shared amongst the province or the country. Or do you have something like this already? Since working in a corporate setting, we always want to share best practices.

2. Nicole Kenny

Hi Analesa. Thank you for such a thoughtfully designed OER. I think the concept of your WRITERSHELP app is something many educators would be drawn to. I loved the comment you made in your bio about taking the opportunity to teach writing regardless of what subject you are teaching. Not everyone enjoys writing, and often a blank page can be daunting. Including games or icebreakers to get the creative juices flowing can help, and the ability to create a community where you can share ideas or exercises that others have tried and found to work well would be helpful. From a SpecEd. Perspective: Could there be an area where parents with children with literacy issues could join? As you highlighted, reading and researching can be time-consuming. I think parents looking for ways to support their child or augment what teachers and tutors are doing could be incredibly valuable. I know that I would check it out!

3. JessicaCammaert

Hi Analesa,
    I really like this concept, and think it will be a great resource for educators. I particularly like the section where you discuss networking, and reference the offering of competency-based professional learning to improve teacher knowledge of teaching writing with micro-credentials. I think this addresses a gap that you mention, which is the limited time that teachers, and particularly elementary school teachers, have in terms of devoting professional development toward writing – best practices for teaching writing, etc. It would be a valuable resource, particularly given the tracking/reporting you mention concerning assessments,etc. It sounds as though it will be quite responsive, and customized, as well.

4. mistermc

I like your concept. You brought up some ideas that have either never been implemented or are missing from many resources that are already out there. There are apps for learning to read and write but they are usually content and game based. It is very difficult to create something marketable that teaches and promotes learning of the curricular competencies (and not just content). We are reviewing a math resource in our district that is very close to achieving this. It has done away with the points, question, and game reward system that essentially replaces worksheets and provided a comprehensive toolset in a, mostly, online environment. I think there is huge potential for something like Writers Help if it were aligned and associated with one of the reputable names, like Adrienne Gear as you mentioned. Most resources by professionals currently involve large sets of black-line masters, manipulatives or video files. The experience could be much richer, more mobile and distributable in an app format.

5. sage capogreco

Hi Analesa, Your project was very interesting and engaging. Very well laid out with great additions like the introductory video and engaging design elements! You successfully fill an important niche with this app proposal. Writing is especially a skill that both teachers and students can easily lose confidence in especially in the formative K-6 years. Indeed, I’m sure many teachers who teach language and writing would find such a tool very useful. I particularly like the idea of the function of the app to recommend learning strategies  based on evaluation results. I think this kind of feedback loop for teachers could be very effective.

1. analesa crooks-eadie

Thanks for you feedback Sage

6. miguel rojas ortega

Hi Analesa,

I thoroughly enjoyed your presentation and creation of your App, Writers Help. The idea behind your app would be incredibly useful as a teaching tool to help streamline support for students by helping teachers better prepare and save time in teaching. I appreciate how well you address common concerns for elementary school teachers who are in deed generalist. In your presentation you addressed main concerns and restraints teachers face, including, time, knowledge, motivation, and the lack of quality resources; I cannot agree more. The creation of this app would give teachers a readily available updated learning platform that would address all of these needs while monitoring and guiding teachers to find real and specific solutions to their students weaknesses. Looking at your prototype it is clear that a lot of thought has gone into this app, and it addresses so many aspects of positive outcomes, including collaboration, lessons, samples, courses and organization for teachers to ultimately be assisted in creating great lessons that save time. Well done, fantastic concept and great presentation.

1. analesa crooks-eadie

Thank you Miguel, happy you see the idea behind this this! Thanks for your feedback:)