Andrea, here!

Hello to everyone! I’m Andrea, tuning in from London, Ontario, Canada. I’m a Learning Experience Designer and College Professor, but I journeyed the first 10 years of my career as a graphic/UX/web designer. The courses I teach are about designing with type, creative concepts, digital illustration as well as art and design history. Accessibility is a big part of what I do. I’ve just started a new role as a Learning & Development Specialist, but right before then I was operating my own design business, Marsten.

This is my third course in the GCET program and I’ve really been enjoying the processes, deep questioning and having my ideas turned on their head. There is more that I’d like to learn beyond the five courses needed, so my goal is to ladder into the MET program to keep on learning.

I was motivated to sign up for this course because I’m really curious about how mobile education can enhance student learning and workplace training; with a focus on the experience and the perception of mobile learningβ€”a kind of intersection of work and play. I realise my own occasional hesitation towards open learning and would like to burst that bubble.

As always, I’m looking forward to learning from and with you all.

This is my adopted troupe (from L-to-R): Darla, Beau and Gob (name inspired from the TV show Arrested Development).

9 responses to “Andrea, here!”

1. sebastien renald

Hello Andrea, I love graphic design and it will be a pleasure to collaborate with you. After more than 15 years teaching in secondary school, I too am back on the “virtual” school benches. I’m curious, like you, about mobile learning and the world of possibilities related to this type of pedagogy. Looking forward to learning more from you.

1. andrea martens

Hi Sebastien, thanks for saying hello! I commend all primary and secondary teachers; especially with all that has happened the past two years. I look forward to collaborating with you.

2. JenniferPetrovics

Hello Andrea.
    I really liked the part about how mobile education can enhance student learning and workplace training. It’s so true that my own hesitation or biased assumptions sometimes impact the way that I think of teenagers with mobile communication. I look forward to working with you.

3. Maria Agop

Hi Andrea, nice to see you here! This is also my third course in the GCET program and I also hope to ladder to the MET program. πŸ™‚

Loved seeing your animals! Very adorable!

1. andrea martens

Hi Maria! It’s great to see you again and learn that you’re also enrolled in the GCET. We seem to be very n’sync with our course choices. πŸ™‚ Cheers to learning!

4. Megan Ravenhill

Hi Andrea!

Nice to virtually meet you! I love your moving-picture of your animals! I am happy to see that your dogs and cats get along!

I believe your hesitation will allow you to really explore the true content and meaning behind the goal of this course! All the best to you during the learning process πŸ™‚

1. andrea martens

Hi Megan, I have to thank my Google Photos app for making that animation from a few photos. Aside from Gob’s near weekly powerplay, they all get along very well. πŸ™‚ Thanks for the well wishes!

5. Braden Litt

Hi Andrea,

Your animals are all adorable! I am really looking forward to seeing your connections between your experiences with designing for accessiibility and the mobile education experience, since I feel that those don’t always go hand in hand. Technology can definitely be something that can support differentiation in learning, but I believe there needs to be more focused, critical thought on that area.

Love to see the Ontarian representation! I grew up a short drive down the road in Sarnia, ON.

Thanks for sharing!

1. andrea martens

Hi Braden, I really appreciate your thoughts! You’re the second Ontarian that I know of in the program. I’m familiar with Sarnia; yes, it’s not too far at all. πŸ™‚