Hello everyone!

My name is Sonia Virk and I am born and raised in British Columbia, Canada. I teach in the same school district I went to as a child, Surrey. I currently teach intermediate (grade 6/7) but I used to teach grade 3/4 and 1/2. I always thought I would teach primary but now that I have taught intermediate I don’t think I could ever go back. I enjoy teaching older kids as I do get to experiment with different technology tools in the classroom. For example, this year I had my kids do podcasts on a topic of their choosing during our Solar Systems Science unit. I graduated from UBC in 2018 with my BEd. and I also have a Bachelor’s degree with a major in English and minor in History.

I am also really passionate about Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) and have been the SEL lead at my school this year which allows me to work on helping staff implement best practices in their classroom as well as working on school-wide plans and goals.

This semester I am taking my fifth and sixth courses in the MET program, this course and ETEC 511. I have really enjoyed all the classes I have taken so. In my spare time, I am a voracious reader, I usually try to read at least 10 books a month. I also have a 3 year old Labrador Retriever named Jasper who I like taking on new trails. I really look forward to learning with all of you, especially in this new format.

3 responses to “Hello everyone!”

1. sebastien renald

Hello Sonia,

What a nice dog! Thanks for sharing a picture of him. I just spent a few weeks in British Columbia and it is heaven for dogs. The temperature is perfect for your walks. I was on Vancouver Island though, so I think it rains less than on the mainland.

I also agree with you, SEL is a very important part of learning, especially with the increasing anxiety among students and following online learning since 2020 for kids and teenagers. It will be a pleasure to learn more about SEL by your side during the next weeks.

2. JenniferPetrovics

Hello Sonia, and a big hello to Jasper! Long time no see Jasper. Hope to see you soon. I’m looking forward to working with you in the 523 course as well. I hope your April May June goes well!

3. John Wu

Hi Sonia, nice to meet you! Definitely agree and appreciate with your point on emotional learning, it’s an important area which is often neglected in education so kudos for highlighting it. I think it’s great how you’re encouraging your students to interact with technology forms, podcasting is a great way for them to develop their confidence and public speaking skills. Looking forward to learning with you in this course (also delighted to see another English major in the class)