3 responses to “Graphic Novels and XR (Extended Reality)- Nasa’s ‘First Woman App’”

1. mstr

Hi, this is very interesting. I think that using XR or AR is a powerful way to engage and promote reading, especially among emerging readers. Graphic novels themselves are very popular and seem to lend well to these types of technology extensions, however, as you mention in your post, all reading materials could benefit from XR additions. Adding visual and interactive elements will help those who learn more visually enjoy reading more, and encourage learners to read for longer, thereby, increasing their reading skills and comprehension. Immersive reading experiences would offer affordances to students with learning challenges such as dyslexia, and aid those with low vision. With reading moving increasingly to mobile devices (e-readers, tablets, phones) it seems to incorporate XR into apps is an easy and beneficial next step.

2. Agnes

Thanks, Vera for your response! Actually, it is so interesting that you asked whether I would be considering AR with my students- when that ended up being my A2 assigned topic. I have always considered it in the past, but thankfully I was able to dive deep into the topic alongside Braden, with our Week 11 project. After that experience, I feel confident to bring AR into my classroom, and support other teachers wanting to do the same!

3. zheng xiong

WOW! Agnes, I appreciate you sharing the video. It showcases the VR experience as a really intriguing and interactive way of learning. The video showcases how virtual reality would engage with students well. Have you yet considered using Augmented Reality (AR) learning with your students? AR would offer an even better immersive experience for students to touch objects, sit down, and move around in the room with VR goggles.