A1: Mobile Fitness Apps as Coaching Tools

With the development of smartphones, many more people gained access to handy GPS systems. Shortly after, developers began to leverage these devices for tracking hikes, runs, rides and other activities.

School coaches could be leveraging these increasingly sophisticated apps with their teams.

Mobile Fitness Apps

My journey with mobile fitness apps began in 2013 when, after an exhausting hike with my brother in Banff, I decided to start running. To track my runs, I decided to try out the Nike+ Run app. Using my phone, I was able to track my outdoor runs, record indoor runs and watch my progress. When training for a half marathon, and later for a full marathon, the app was able to suggest a training plan that built up slowly. 10 years later, mobile devices and apps have even more to offer.

Mobile fitness apps exploded with the development of smartphones. GPS watches, and even some with heart rate monitors, have existed for some time, but they are expensive and limited to a small segment of the population. Smartphones with built in GPS opened the fitness app floodgates. Multi-purpose smart watches continue to push these even more mainstream. A variety of sensors, such as GPS, heartrate monitors, stride length, RPM and cadence sensors, are available to provide even more feedback for users.

Fitness apps are masters at implementing gamification features. The Nike+ app, for example, features badges, personal best records, weekly challenges, milestones counting total distance and others. Most apps allow for the sharing of workouts on social media, but some include their own as well allowing friends to cheer each other on or share workout playlists. These features increase the likelihood that athletes will continue to make use of the apps and stick to training schedules.

Strava, the popular app for runners and cyclists, allows for the creation of clubs that coaches can use to assign challenges, and track activity through leaderboards. Polar, a manufacturer of GPS watches and heartrate monitors, has created a comprehensive app and website based approach called Polar Flow. Individuals can plan an entire season of events and customize the workouts to match the event schedule. Coaches can also set up groups, create schedules and customize workouts, and then see the results as the season progresses.

Pre-season Zone 2 training would allow teams across many different sports to improve base levels of fitness while minimizing risk of injury. Having a solid level of base fitness also reduces recovery time during intense training, and reduces the likelihood of injury are well. For teams that suffer from fatigue at the end of games, pre-season training could make a vital difference.

MOBILITY

These devices and apps are mobile by necessity. They move with the users and by doing so afford freedom. While alternatives certainly exist for determining the distance travelled, time, speed, etc, these apps reduce the workload and uncertainty. GPS tracking ensures that athletes can use a variety of routes and make legitimate comparisons between sessions. Since the devices and apps log the information in real time, recording the training in a logbook becomes unnecessary and redundant. When communication and social media is factored in, the mobile apps can provide substantial benefit over traditional ways of tracking this type of data.

EDUCATION

While we often consider the primary purpose of school athletics to be team building and social activities, we must also acknowledge that student athletes need to be educated in more purposeful methods of training and fitness than might be covered in a typical physical education class. Many students seek athletic scholarships to supplement their post secondary education. Effective fitness programs and coaching could make the difference for some students.

Consider that many adults make excellent use of fitness apps on a daily basis, relying on the programmed training schedules, encouraged by gamified features, and without any personal coaching. Coaches seeking to leverage these tools could see improved participation and performance with only a small change in habits.

What barriers exist? Obviously, the devices themselves can be quite expensive. At minimum, a mobile device is required. Most of the apps are free, although some provide additional features for a fee. Most apps are cross-platform, reducing the likelihood of iOS or Android only apps. Beyond that, the only real limitations are the persistence of both the coach and the athletes. Not every athlete is able to set aside time in their week for pure training and exercise outside of practices. Other students may simply not recognise the training benefit in walking or riding to school, and not consider tracking that data. That said, many athletes are eager for ways to improve personally, and mobile fitness apps could help coaches build stronger, faster and more enduring teams.

3 responses to “A1: Mobile Fitness Apps as Coaching Tools”

1. louisa green

Hi Douglas, Thank you for sharing your assignment. You look much more calm and relaxed than i was while recording my webcast! Your topic is really current and I’m sure connects with many of our colleagues here. Fitness apps are pretty ubiquitous these days but they hold a certain draw for many people including myself!. For me, getting a new fitness app is kind of like making a New Years resolution and it feels really good to be making a fresh start with something that you hope you will benefit you both physically and mentally. I have tried the Fitbits, the Applewatch fitness app, some Tanabata apps (which were the most simple but probably most effective as well) and have tried a slew of yoga and other post-maternity style fitness and health/nutrition apps. The gamification elements are particularly alluring to many and I know being apple to share your challenges and triumphs with others in your social network is fun and very motivating. Like many other NY Resolutions, the challenge can sometimes be continuing with the program even when the novelty of it wears off!

1. Douglas Millie

Thanks! I haven’t taken the plunge on a smartwatch yet, and I am decidedly more focused on endurance sports. That said, there are apps for tracking just about everything. Even something simple like tracking weight and comparing it to run times yields interesting patterns. Spoiler, I run faster when I weigh less. Unfortunately many apps are not good at sharing data, so I have found myself switching between apps to get the right combination of features.

2. anna rzhevska

Thank you, Doug! I believe you contributed to my better understanding of gamification here. Mobile fitness apps you described will definitely help student athletes to control their training better and save time. What also amazes me is how any app (or site) tries to grab and hold our attention for as long as possible. But I think we, humans, will survive!