4 responses to “Optical Character Recognition (OCR)”

1. Sinsi

Hi Jennie,

Even though my study habits are opposite to yours, I prefer reading and organizing text, but OCR has helped me a lot in my studies. The most obvious point is that there are now more and more hardware devices, such as mobile phones that come with OCR. Compared with before, when we need to download software, it lowers the entry barrier. I can quickly take a picture and organize the information on it. In addition, although English is my academic learning language, it is not my first language after all. OCR has helped me a lot in quick word selection and translation. Secondly, I really like using my tablet to take notes and organize my thoughts. OCR saves me a lot of time by helping me convert handwritten text into text (when I need to submit a copy or assignment). But in these processes, it is inevitable to find that even though the recognition accuracy of OCR is constantly improving, there are still some areas that can be improved. Perhaps the current technology is not enough to support it but I always looking forward it happening. For example, recognizing text in different languages in one piece of work can be a challenge because each language has its own peculiarities and fonts. There is also the correct identification of formatting elements such as tables, columns, font size or text alignment. I am wondering whether OCR will also develop better as AR technology develops.

P.S., I think we were assigned to the same topic with the A2 task. I am looking forward to the discussion and cooperation with you in the future!

1. Sinsi Jiang

Sorry I messed up group members but still looking forward our discussions 🙂

2. Bianca Therese Joson

Hi Jennie,

Great find! OCR definitely touches our daily and professional lives. This can help us decipher those hard to read writing ????
    I first came across this when a student of mine was taking a picture of my board. He then showed me that my notes can be turned into PDF and that he can edit later on. I think this changes the way we approach note taking. It’s definitely expedited. However, I wonder how proponents of note taking would react to this. How could we take existing note taking strategies and incorporate tech?
    With my current job, I have to work with people with varying skill sets with working with computers. My company relies on Microsoft Word track changes whenever we have to edit an instructional manual with a Subject Matter Expert (SME). Some SMEs are hesitant to do this and opt to write their notes on paper. OCR can definitely help my team and I transfer these handwritten notes faster.

3. Daniel Edwards

I saw this post and was very intrigued by it. I use these OCRs reasonably often in my work (by digiting hard copies of faxes or printed memos to add to tasks to remind myself of later) and also in my daily life. There are a few I was thinking of that help translate languages I come across but don’t know (particularly Korean products when shopping). I am impressed by how far the technology has gotten, where it can see the foreign text, read and translate it, and then overlay it in the view from the camera and almost use the same font and size. I am curious if this technology will become a mass input tool, where several pages of printouts could be scanned into text.