A3: Immersive Mobile Educational Experiences

Hi everyone, attached is a link to my site about immersive reality mobile educational experiences. Enjoy!

https://sites.google.com/view/immersiveeducationalexperience/home

( Average Rating: 3.5 )

3 responses to “A3: Immersive Mobile Educational Experiences”

1. Bianca Therese Joson

Hi Spencer,
    You provided a good introduction to immersive reality experiences. I still get confused with the differences between AR, VR, and MR. Funny enough when I hear immersive experiences I think of video games, so I was glad you included your Pokemon Go activities with your friends.

I think immersive reality is good for subjects that rely heavily on visualization. I agree that teaching math using immersive reality can really benefit students. I did not perform well in math when I was younger as I had problems picturing the problems in my head. As a teacher, I would have liked to see some concrete or mock up examples how immersive reality could be used as a part of a class.

When you mentioned drafting, architecture and interior design also popped into my head. I’m not sure if this is a reality now (it probably is to some extent), but prospective clients are taken through the interior and exterior of their possible house. That way they could manipulate proposed fixtures and make changes early on in the project which avoids any last-minute changes down the road. This idea is also inspired by Airbus’ cabin customization. Customers can see the layout of the aircraft; they can see the fixtures they want and manipulate them.

The 2-minute video about Airbus’ initiative can be found here: https://youtu.be/fMLfOgSvRX8?si=AQi40Js8esNJmUQO

2. Debbie Chen

Hi Spencer,
    Your website about immersive Mobile Educational Experiences is really engaging. I appreciated the personal touch you added with your introduction, sharing your teaching experiences and extracurricular involvement. It made the content feel relatable. The way you covered Immersive Reality, Education, and your personal experience with Pokémon Go was both comprehensive and insightful. I particularly liked the real-life examples you provided, such as using VR in Drafting to design houses, which adds a practical dimension to the discussion. Your suggestions for overcoming budget constraints in Technology Education through MR solutions reflect a pragmatic approach. Overall, your forward-thinking vision for AR applications showcases a dedication to innovative teaching methods. I’ve also forecasted a similar technology. My idea revolves around a pocket-sized, portable immersive experience space.
    Additionally, I came across a fascinating video showcasing “Norte-Dame de Paris: The Augmented Exhibition,” where technology brings back the burned Norte-Dame de Paris. It’s a powerful example of how immersive technology can preserve and present cultural heritage. This video resonated with me, connecting seamlessly with your innovative ideas.
    https://globalnews.ca/video/10065839/notre-dame-de-paris-the-augmented-exhibition
    Field trips in Taiwan are always a hassle due to insurance and safety concerns for teachers. Considering your immersive tech ideas, it struck me – this could revolutionize global field trips, potentially saving a lot of money and making around-the-world trips feasible. So, the usual costing and budget constraints that stress teachers might not be a problem anymore. Your ideas are not just innovative; they could be a game-changer for educators facing real challenges.
    From a pedagogical perspective, your immersive technology ideas have immense potential for teaching Geography and tourism. Imagine students virtually exploring geographical landmarks, historical sites, and tourist destinations. This approach could make learning Geography more experiential and engaging, fostering a deeper understanding of diverse cultures and environments. Your vision aligns well with modern pedagogical approaches, emphasizing the importance of immersive experiences for effective learning outcomes. This adds another layer of significance to your innovative ideas.

3. Sebastian Seo

Very cool topic Spencer. In grade school I fondly remember going on field trips to the Toronto Zoo, Ontario Science Centre, Black Creek Pioneer Village, Royal Ontario Museum and Canada’s Wonderland. But wouldn’t it be cool if immersive technology one day replaces some of these local trips and takes us on trips that are inconceivable like the Louvre in Paris, Imperial Palace in Tokyo, or Jau National Park in Brazil. I believe virtual field trips have been around for several years, but unsure about its acceptance at public schools. I can imagine costs, teacher training, tech support, educational impact uncertainity and resistance to change as some of the challenges for adoption.

I stumbled across this UBC VR Prototype Field Trip Project video (4:16 mins): https://open.geog.ubc.ca/research/field-trips/