A3: Transformative Learning in Portable Immersive Space

Hello everyone!

I’ve been working in a space where creativity meets innovation, and I’m thrilled to share it with you. While it’s still a work in progress, I’ve poured my heart into it and am genuinely excited about the possibilities. Your visit and feedback will mean a lot. Let’s explore and create together! Please click on the link below.

https://sites.google.com/view/a3forecastingprojectbydebbbiec/home

( Average Rating: 3.5 )

4 responses to “A3: Transformative Learning in Portable Immersive Space”

1. mpaliy

The presentation covers a very interesting topic of the benefits of immersive art experiences in education and how technology can help art transcend the boundaries.

Arts do allow to envision possibilities and the future that does not exist yet. They do so by presenting information in new ways and also by creating new concepts or ideas.

One way that the presentation could be enhanced is to provide more examples of how arts and mobile technology can be used in education.

For example, arts employ performances to educate audience about important world events. Recently there has been an increasing number of stage productions related to climate change, such as those performed by the global movement, Climate Change Theatre Action. Performances provide immersive experiences and are more powerful than another article or a talk. How can performances be enhanced with the help of mobile technology?

2. Michelle Kim

Hello Debbie,

Thanks for sharing your ideas about transformative learning. I only have a minimal knowledge of immersive space, which I’ve experienced a few times at museums and exhibits. I enjoyed it very much and thought it was incredible since the displays were fully projected all around the room and interactive, where I could touch and get different reactions from it.

I have yet to consider implementing the idea of learning since it would require technology, space, and more. However, reading your ideas and information excites me, and I see the advantages it could bring our students. Due to some of the limitations and challenges you mentioned on your website, it wouldn’t be easy to implement in a public education system. It could remain a special exhibition in certain places such as museums. In the future, the resources and time will be available for students and educators to easily access such experiences and use them daily for learning since it would make it much more exciting and hands-on. It would be neat to be used for all the different subjects, including art, literacy as a read-aloud book, science with all the experiments, social studies which displays all the historical events, and music lessons, making it engaging for the learners.

3. cathli

Hi Debbie,

Your background and experience with art, dance, and acting provide great credibility to your work on this subject of immersive art. You curated useful resources to help your audience understand existing technologies and how these are used in education and art. To complement the content you have on your website, it would be helpful to include a deeper analysis of how these technologies work together and how they contribute to learning more explicitly while supporting your arguments with research.

Also, I am not sure if this is a limitation of the platform you used to create your website, but it would be good from a user experience point of view to include the page links on the table of contents page where you have the square images. In overall, thank you for the good work. I learned something new about haptic technology!

4. Jennie Jiang

Thank you, Debbie, for introducing us to transformative portable learning spaces. I enjoyed going through your site, and appreciated the fact that you painted us the picture of what immersive learning spaces can be like, explained differences between AR and VR, shared benefits and challenges of immersive learning, and the technology associated with it. I myself would have loved this technology when I was learning history and social studies in high school. I think learning through experiences and application is much more fun and effective than reading and memorization. Imagine living through history with a VR device, that would be the best way to learn as it will become part of my memory naturally! I am glad to find out from the video you included that companies and institutions are already starting to use AR for learning and training.

I enjoyed reading about how smartphones and AR is being used in the museums to provide a new and engaging experience. After reading it I actually became more interested in what other things my phone can do with AR, and here is what I found: https://devabit.com/blog/examples-of-ar-for-mobile/. It is mind-blowing. I hope to see this technology not just in teaching and learning, but other aspects of education, such academic advising and administration, to make students’ lives easier and more engaging.