Can we overcome our mobile addiction?

Inspired by the discussion “what disturbs me the most about mobile culture…” I wanted to delve deeper into the culture of mobile addiction. Having taught pre and post COVID, I have witnessed how students have become so much more addicted to their phones than they once were. To be able to teach anything, all devices must be removed from the classroom otherwise their phantom limb will appear and the scrolling will begin. However, there was once a time where I could have devices in the classroom and students knew when it was an appropriate time to be on their mobiles and when was an inappropriate time. I don’t want to put this just on the younger generation either. For myself, my family and my friends, I also have seen a huge increase in mobile addiction. I have to catch myself when I’m watching a show on Netflix and then I pick up my phone to start scrolling. It’s disturbing and haunting to me how I feel like sometimes, I have no control. In this post, I’d like to explore practical strategies, including the use of the Opal app and other similar tools, to regain control over our digital habits.

1. Opal: As someone deeply invested in mobile learning, I’ve discovered the transformative power of Opal. This app offers a range of features to help users manage their smartphone usage effectively. With Opal, you can set limits on app usage, block distracting apps during crucial study or work hours, and track your screen time habits to gain valuable insights. By integrating Opal into your daily routine, you can reclaim your focus and productivity while still harnessing the benefits of technology. Have I mentioned how much I LOVE this app?
  2. Forest: If you’re drawn to gamified solutions, Forest might be the perfect fit. This app encourages users to stay focused by planting virtual trees during periods of productivity. If you give in to temptation and exit the app, your tree will wither—a powerful visual reminder of the importance of staying on task.
  3. Freedom: True to its name, Freedom empowers users to break free from digital distractions. By blocking access to selected websites and apps across all devices, Freedom helps you establish digital-free zones during critical times, such as classes or study sessions.
  4. Moment: This app tracks your screen time usage, providing detailed reports and analytics to help you identify areas for improvement. Additionally, Moment offers coaching and challenges to support you in achieving a healthier balance between screen time and real-world experiences.
  5. Flipd: This app allows users to temporarily lock their devices, preventing access to apps and notifications for a set period. Whether you’re gearing up for an exam or engaging in a classroom discussion, Flipd ensures your attention remains undivided.

For myself, I mainly use Opal and I have found a huge change in when and how I use my mobile device. In my mind, I use my mobile much more for good instead of evil now. While I do allow myself moments in the day to scroll, those moments are limited and the app makes it very challenging to ‘doom scroll’ the day away. I wonder if we required students to use these apps in the classroom, what difference would that make? I’m curious to know if anyone has used these apps or similar ones? What is your experience with mobile addiction? What is the solution? Is there really a solution or all we all doomed?

( Average Rating: 4.5 )

2 responses to “Can we overcome our mobile addiction?”

1. Jazz Chapman

Hi Olivia,
    Strangely enough I feel a sense of relief when my phone dies because I am not tempted by social media. I will definitely be looking into this app to help my social media use lessen.
    Jazz

2. Alan Lam

I like how your post shares some analagous tones to some of the metaphors talked about in the intro of this course, where economist Ronald Coase explains how companies are essentially structures that hold ‘market costs’ or ‘transactional costs’, essentially friction that occurs during a financial transaction, to enable greater ease and freedom of choice to the consumer.
    It seems like this Opal app is a structure to hold friction of essentially too much digital freedom, to set boundaries that help control impulsivity or ‘doom-scrolling’, thereby freeing up time and attention back to the consumer.