3 responses to “Snapchat Streaks”

1. Rich

Hi Sam,
    This reinforces my belief that social media is totally inappropriate for grade 8s. I think in the coming years we will seriously acknowledge and confront this for the mental health crisis it is creating. If this course is still running in 2030 or beyond, perhaps future cohorts will look back on our posts and shake their heads at what used to be allowed in schools and beyond for children. In the meantime, it will be really positive for these kids to get into nature and break their Snapstreak as painful and anxiety educing as that may be. Have fun on the trip and thank you for sharing this really meaningful post.

2. Kirsten

The idea of a Snapstreak seems obsessive and “technihilistic,” a term I’ve coined to define harmful technology used by juvenile and careless citizens.

We can begin to change these trends by adding incentive to replicating digital personas offline. For example, Sam’s grade 8 French students’ could earn badges, rewards or points when returning to the online world from their camping trip. How could educational technology companies leverage this concept?

3. Jazz Chapman

Hi Sam,
    I have used Snapchat for years now. I remember the time when you would know who others’ streak was and with who. You could also see who their best friends were (who they snapped the most) and it would cause a lot of stress on relationships and friendships. Snapstreaks only continue if both parties send a snap every 24 hours. If another student is telling you something differently, they are probably lying to you.
    I do agree that students are obsessed now and taking pictures of things that no one would care to see. It is an odd world we live in, but how do we change it?
    Jazz