Newsela | Literacy-focused Instructional Tool

Week 4 had a rich curation of edtech tools and apps. Newsela was one of my favourite edtech tools to help with literacy-focused goals and to curate news articles that are relevant. It’s main features include differentiated, grade-leveled reading that is up-to-date in informational text.

The articles often guide students towards literate skill-building and text comprehension.

https://newsela.com/

Product:

I have found Newsela to be more suited for intermediate grades or grade 8-9. It’s quite difficult to use for more senior students. The user can adjust the reading level and intricacy, to produce the supplemental instructional material as needed. This is an amazing tool as it allows both educators and students to integrate the use of AI into literacy.

1. Sync through a provider (Google, Clever, Microsoft)
  2. Produces timely learning curriculum in connection to the real-world
  3. Subject levels often are relevent and responsive
  4. Each reading is assigned with with variation of assessments (reflection paragraph writing, analytical writing)
  5. Scaffolding tools
  6. Customizable

Agency:

1. Pick grade level and activities
  2. Premade lessons
  3. Differentiated content
  4. Various subjects including: ELA, Social studies, Science
  5. Formative assessments provided

Use:

Newsela is a capable tool as it provides organization and embeds the following features:

• Assign readings ahead of time
  • Save readings for future use
  • Assign to different classes

5 responses to “Newsela | Literacy-focused Instructional Tool”

1. Kirsten

Clarissa,
    Scouring the EAP/ESL section was a worthwhile endeavor as I am forever seeking relevant extensive reading materials for my international students. Particularly in light of the importance of the mastery of digital lireracy, could a resource such as this be used to supplement expensive, heavy amd quickly outdated printed textbooks?

1. clareyeh

Hey Kirsten,
      I would definitely use this as a supplemental resource. There’s two ways. Newsela already provides a main article or text to investigate. But I wouldn’t say to dispose text books as they provide very good context and information. Another way, is to provide further readings, information and implement different activities/resources! 🙂

2. Kevin Dontas

Hi Clarisse, this looks like such an amazing resource! Thank you for sharing. After browsing around Newsela for a while it is obvious that it has amazing potential to engage students. The articles presented seem relevant and recent; they make things like Socials seem exactly what they are: important and happening in the world around us all the time, not just in history. I appreciate how it raises discussions around current political issues that would make students feel like active citizens of the world.

A question I have–as I am an early explorer of the site with free access–would ask how well the agenda of the site aligns with Canadian curriculum and issues, especially Truth and Reconciliation? I see that many of the articles come from sources like The Washington Post, Smithsonian.com, Scientific American (which all seem trustworthy), and more. I feel like Newsela would do a good job no matter what in aligning with Canadian values but would like your opinion (or others) as well.

1. Joel Flanagan

Hello Kevin,
      I experimented with Newsela a bit previously. I also found that a lot of the articles were aligned with the curriculum in the United States. That being said, some of the articles apply to Canadian curriculum.
      One of the things that I found limiting is that the free/lite versions only allow you to use some of the most recent articles. If you found an article applicable to courses you teach, it will likely be locked away behind a paywall. The cost associated with it makes it challenging to use it infrequently. Using a program like Microsoft Coach to adjust teacher-selected content to various levels would be more work, but it might be an option if it is seldom used.

2. clareyeh

Hey Kevin,
      You’ve hit the challenge of using Newsala – it’s mostly American content. It is based on generic North American learning standards. And so no, to align the content of the site, you would have to prep and merge its material to T&R, Indigenous Ways and Knowledge. I think when using Newsela it would be selective.