Susan Roth

png;base64980094963c602ee2

I chose this image as it exemplifies where I am in terms of the whole texting phenomenon. I see the reason for abbreviations and a new type of language when texting but the traditional side of me can’t get past what I see as spelling errors. The chore of typing out all those words on those tiny keys is a bit off putting as well. Language has always fascinated me – where words or saying originated, how meaning changes over time. I particularly like “Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo”.

I work as a clinical nurse educator/RN at a teaching hospital in Vancouver, BC. This is my sixth course in the program. I chose to take this course because I think that creating and communicating meaning are what separate us from the rest of the animal kingdom. I am excited to learn more about the history of language and text. Over the centuries we have developed very sophisticated ways to communicate and to understand text’s evolution can help provide greater understanding of its purpose and use.

Susan

Image source: “Literacy B2.” Digitween Project 12-2 -. Digitween, n.d. Web. 12 May 2015.

8 thoughts on “Susan Roth

1. I love the text message! I too have issues with typos in text message, though I unfortunately make many thanks to autocorrect!

2. I also enjoy looking at the evolution of language over time. One thing I find interesting with texting, is that I have a different grammar depending on the person I am talking to. The texting abbreviations I find most annoying is the addition of numbers, it doesn’t seem to flow with the way I read at all.

• I’m with you. I can’t keep track of all the symbols. On a day like today, I would have called that a tipped ice cream cone 🙁
        2funny
        Terry

3. Hello Susan, side note: I presented our cbsf (Collaborative Branching Story Framework) at our staff meeting and it was a huge hit!

4. Hi Susan,
    New ways of communicating such as texting definitely present us with some unintended hilarity! Autocorrect always tries to boss me around 😉 And don’t get me started on overuse of emoticons.
    Looking forward to working with you over the summer.
    ~Sandra
    PS I’m in the Vancouver area too, (Surrey).

5. Susan – Your image is great! Text is such a giant part of our communicative world now…. and abbreviations and emojis have taken text to a whole new level. Nice to meet you! Bre