Jann Iorns

Enlarge

Weaving on a golden chair

Yorick

Text is a fabrication, something we can make (silently in our minds or out loud in words or as visible marks on paper or a screen). It is likened to weaving. Hence, I chose the image of a woven object.

Me chilling at ‘Jazz in the Vines’, Hunter Valley, Australia, October 2014

pic of Jann

In line with the belief that text is a fabrication, I have three different meanings or interpretations of ‘text’ …

1. Text as linguistics

Accurate text embodies meaning

Inaccurate text can lead to mistaken meaning.

2. Text as web markup

Accurate text tells the web how to format digital spaces.

Inaccurate text fails to do this.

3. Text as creation

Individual or collaborative artefacts in oral or written form.

Examples: joke, song, poem, story, speech, rumour, document, label, sign, billboard, advertisement, publication, website, web app.

What these interpretations mean to me …

• Text creation is a huge part of my life, in professions of instructional design and marketing communication, as well as in a hobby of fiction writing.
  • Linguistics became important during my ESL teaching career and has since contributed to all of my written creative work.  Grammar is king!
  • Text markup is part of MET study projects (including use of this blog space) and my professional eLearning work.

This is my 10th and final MET paper !!!  Looking forward to exploring text and technologies with you all.

3 thoughts on “Jann Iorns

1. Hi Jann,
    Congratulations on reaching your 10th course! I confess, I’m a little jealous. I look forward to learning from and with you this summer.
    ~Sandra