Viking Runes

This introduction to the ancient Viking runes provides an overview of the origins of the Younger Futhark runic written language.  Previously, written language had been limited to the educated elite.  However, the Vikings shared their written language with the common people.  During their explorations, the Vikings brought the runes to all parts of Europe as well as the east coast of North America.  The  Viking runes, carved into stones, have stood the test of time and have provided evidence of their travels.

To create this presentation I chose to use Google slides so I could work on it from any machine in a cloud saved format.  I also wanted to learn more about the special effect features of Google Slides.  This was my experience screen casting and using a movie editor.  I used Open Broadcast Software (OBS) and VDSC Free Video Editor.   I was amazed at how easy this software was to use.

One challenge was the volume of the background music.  It starts out nice and quiet, a perfect volume. However, as the song progresses the music gets louder and louder.  I adjusted the music volume many times before deciding on a setting which I feel is still a bit loud in parts.  However, there comes a time when  person needs to simply accept things as they are and walk away.

After creation of this project I began thinking of all of the additional ways I could have made improvements.  For example, adding a live video clip.  I will be sure to try this on my next screen casting / video editing project.

A PDF with speaker notes is also included.

Enjoy!

Tina

Viking Runes PDF with slide notes

One thought on “Viking Runes

1. Congratulations on a great production, Tina. The music track was perfect, your slides and images excellent, and your audio was crystal clear and well paced.
    I have Danish ancestry but had no idea about the ancient language ‘Futhark’ or anything about the runes and how colourful some of them are.
    Your research into the history of the language, culture and history of the Viking Age seems well rounded. You mentioned the move from Nordic paganism to Christianity at the end of the Viking Age, and this matches the narrative in the TV series ‘The Vikings’ where Ragnar receives a baptism (much to the horror of his clan).
    Well done. Very educational. I am sure your documentary will be a valuable resource for many teachers.