Talking Drums–Video Documentary

Introduction

I must admit that when I first started this production, I found the task a little daunting,  I had no clue where to start and how the final product would turn out.  All I can say is that I am impressed with myself, I loved this topic.  This was my first time using iMovie, and at first the learning curve was steep.  I can honestly say that this one of my most prized productions in the MET program so far.  My video documentary covers the Talking Drums of West Africa.  I completed this video completely on my iPhone6S.  All recording, video and photos were uploaded and recorded using my phone.  My video is extremely visual with a myriad of pictures, as well as a few videos to demonstrations of what a talking drum is.  I even included a hand drawn picture because I could not find a picture that suited what I wanted to depict.

YouTube Preview Image

Challenges

Since this was my first time using iMovie, I had to learn how to work the app, with the help of a few YouTube videos I quickly got the hang of it. Another frustrating component was when I was making voice recordings, my phone would ring or I would get a message and I would have to rerecord the segment.  Also, there were times I rerecorded some portions 5 or 6 times until I was satisfied.  Finding images to go with the text and still keeping the video visually interesting.

Successes

Completing the video on time! Lol.  In all honestly, I feel like I gave birth, I am so proud of my final production, that I have been emailing the link to all my friends and family. I learned so much and I am so happy that I chose this topic.

Enjoy!

Haneefa Corbie ETEC 540 Script pdf

3 thoughts on “Talking Drums–Video Documentary

1. Hi Haneefa,

Great video! I really liked the combination of history and physics. It was really interesting to learn about this form of communication. The connection between tone, language, and rhythm is very thought provoking. It is amazing the tiny details in a communication method that make a difference in understanding, and often times we don’t even know that they are there.

Catherine

2. Hi Haneefa, you should be proud of your production, such as great topic. As a former music teacher I appreciate how we can integrate music, language and history. I have attended a few drumming workshops and always enjoy the cultural history.