Rip.Mix.Feed.

Here is my Rip. Mix. Feed.

I chose to explore this topic as I think that the negative, or less than desirable qualities of social media, can be frequently overlooked or not addressed. As I researched this topic a bit I found out that the primary purpose of social media was to get users’ eyes on advertising (Friesen, Lowe, 2012). Call me naive, but I thought it was for connecting with others. Friesen and Lowe’s article was very enlightening about various aspects of social media that I was unaware of.

I have attempted to give a different perspective about social media that may be akin to having a ‘dislike’ option on Facebook, not very popular but needed just the same. I think frequently negative outcomes of new technologies can be swept under the carpet as people get caught up in the freedoms they afford.

I have tried to use only imagery with very little text in order to leave the piece open to interpretation by viewers.

P.S. I have struggled with the whole copyright issue and understanding what I can and can’t use, particularly when it comes to images and media. Very confusing, especially when things appear on YouTube. I had to rework this from the original one I posted as there was a copyright issue that I didn’t realize (thank you YouTube for pointing that out!). Also, knowing when to cite media that appears under creative commons is unclear for me. Do I need to do it or do I not need to do it? Can anyone enlighten me?

Susan

Friesen, N., Lowe, S. (2012), The questionable promise of social media for education: connective learning and the commercial imperative. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 28, 183-194.

2 thoughts on “Rip.Mix.Feed.

1. Nice work Susan. From what I understand, even though photos may be under creative commons, you still have to give the author credit for their work. Same goes for music or anything that you use to create your presentation.

2. I really like what you’ve created. It would be great to show a highschool English class and have them analyze it – give their perspective – and open their eyes up to the other side!