Literacy: The doors leading to another world. A contending view

This video looks at contending views in relation to literacy, where parents are arguing for the traditional method of books and novels versus the new technology. The platform I used was go-animate, as I found it user friendly.  Please see link to the video below.

http://goanimate.com/videos/0mYgKfm0TH3I.

Additionally, please see script below and reference.

Script

Mr Beckford: As a lifelong lover of the written word, I have read many great books and some that I could say wasn’t all that. However, I never read a book that didn’t offer some level of knowledge and something I could learn. At the minimum, reading boosted my vocabulary as I would learn words I never seen before.

Mrs. Wilson: I totally agree, as a child growing up in a poor background reading provided an escape from the various challenges I encountered. I could always open a book and shut out what was happening.

Mr. Johsnon: Bolter pointed out that just as the late capitalism is still vigorous, so are books and other printed materials in the late age of print are still common and enjoy considerable prestige.

Mr Bekford: Going to the library was a joy for me, my son scoffs at me when I mention library to him. These kids simply don’t love to read.

Mrs. Wilson: I am fascinated by the lines of book on a bookshelf. I like the smell coming from a stacked bookshelf. A library is like a heavenly hallway with a thousand of doorways. One day I had a discussion with my son and neighbour about reading a particular book and the joy it brings. One response which struck me was “you read that entire book in a day, no way, that is boring, I don’t even see a photograph.” I said to myself how we can get young people to read.

Mr. Johnson: The last point you raised is very important as we are now living in a very visual culture. Students today are visual beings. So don’t be alarmed by your son and neighbour reaction. According to Bolter scholars as radical different in their ideologies as EH Gombrich, WJT Mitchell and Frederick Jameson seem to agree that we are living in a visual culture. In the Image of the Eye Gombrich claims that (o)urs is a visual age we are bombarded with pictures from morning til night. No wonder it has been asserted that we are entering a historical epoch in which image will take over from the written word.

Mr. Beckford: I understand that my son and students of today are engaged in technology, devices such as smart phones and tablets consume their time. The main problem I have is that these devices only serve as distraction.

Mrs. Wilson: I have banned Michael from all computers, video games, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram until he starts reading more books. His father and I has decided not to buy anymore computer related device.

Mr. Johnson: Parents you have to take into account that we are living in a new generation and students learn different. Bolter argued that printing and literacy would change human thought mode of expression, the principal idea of each generation would no longer write itself with the same material and in the same way, persons become more exposed. Bolter further stated that portable computers present themselves as new and improved books, notebooks has become a generic term for these devices. The ebooks appropriates and refashions many of the physical properties as well as the interface of a traditional book. It is lightweight and easy to carry, the reader can write notes in its margin and underline passage as in a printed book. According to Cramer technology can send children to the internet to experience the presentation of text, audio, graphics that no teacher and no book can duplicate. Technology can put children in touch with their peers in the Australian Outback. Technology allow children to navigate their own learning trails and access information unavailable in the classroom. Research shows that technology is an effective means of engaging children in learning. Many types of learning adventure are useful for developing comprehension and vocabulary.
No doubt technology has its disadvantage such as distraction, however proper parental supervision is recommended, therefore it is important for parents to get knowledgeable of the technology and participate in various activities with their kids as the new generation learn better with the technology. Additionally most schools are using technological devices in their learning activities. Delvin et al suggested that the use of technology has become more prevalent in schools and has been shown to facilitate student learning objectives.

Mr. Beckford: Thank you for your reasoning, it has definitely open my mind to a different world.

Mrs. Wilson: I agree

Referencing

Bolter, J (2001). Writing Spaces: Computers, hypertext and the remediation of print. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Publishers, London

Cramer, R.L. (2004). The language arts: A balanced approach to teaching reading, writing, listening, talking and thinking. Boston. Pearson

Devlin, T.J, Feldhaus, C.R, Bentrem, K.M, (2013). The evolving classroom: A study of traditional and technology-based instruction in a STEM classroom. Journal of Technology Education. Retrieved from http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/ejournals/JTE

2 thoughts on “Literacy: The doors leading to another world. A contending view

1. I really enjoyed your video!! The content that you used was very relevant. I have never used GoAnimate but am excited to utilize it in the future. I am please to hear that you found it user-friendly. Very well done!

• Thank you for watching the video and providing a feedback. Yes, you should try GoAnimate it will be very educating and fun. Cheers!