Is It Really Happily Ever After? by Paola Moreno Diaz Rivera

Anastasia

Even before I opened my eyes, I knew something was off. I usually wake up to either the sound of my phone’s alarm clock or some type of noise in the street. New York City is not called the Concrete Jungle for nothing. However, today I woke up to the sound of a bird chirping. A bird in Brooklyn? Highly unlikely. The weirdness does not end here. I also had a harder time pulling off my duvet, which felt heavy all of a sudden. Ugh, another reminder that I must go to the gym more often. Without opening my eyes, I reach for my phone. I know it is unhealthy to scroll through Instagram first thing in the morning, but old habits die hard. This morning I cannot find it though. This is when I finally decide to open my eyes. The moment that happens, I feel as if I stumbled on an alternative reality.

My bed is not there, my clothes and closet are all gone, replaced by a vanity and a small rack with corsets and dresses hung all over. My duvet is gone. I realized I had been covered by some sort of animal fur. Everything is made from wood and has no color.

What is happening? Where is all my stuff? Why am I not in my room? Oh my god, I just got kidnapped!

My heart rate is starting to spike up, my palms are sweaty, my breathing is starting to get labored, all the signs of a panic attack. No. I cannot. I will not allow myself to fall into this mental black hole because I need to find a way to get out of here. I try doing some of the breathing exercises my therapist always wants me to try out, and after a couple of minutes, my vision starts to clear, and my body relaxes. That is when I finally spot a small window on the opposite side of the room. It is unlocked! Yes, this is my chance! The person who kidnapped me wasn’t smart enough to lock the window, which is weird. Isn’t that the basic rule? Never give victims an easy escape. Anyways, I decided to take my chance now that I have it and jump, without looking back.

Griselda

I am awakened by a scream and a slam. I instantly get irritated because it was probably Cinderella. Does she not understand that this is one of the most important days of my life? Today is when the most acclaimed suitor in the village is finally going to court me. I’m sure she’s jealous because I’m going to marry a prince, while she’ll be stuck here forever with her animal friends and this dirty farm. Those days are over for me! No more farm chores, mediocre food, or cleaning. Starting today, mother, my sister, Anastasia, and I will be going to lavish parties with dukes, condes, and royal families from all over France. I can’t believe my plan worked!

Ever since the prince announced that he would marry whomever the glass slipper fit, Mother and I have been doing all sorts of things to mold my feet in accordance with it. We are no fools, as we quickly realized the shoe belonged to Cinderella, my despisable stepsister, who went to the ball without our permission. At first mother and I were extremely angry, how dare she betray us like that? However, we now know it was a blessing in disguise. We were able to steal one of her shoes and using it as a reference we cut some of my flesh off to make my foot thinner to fit it, et Voila! It worked! We all know I am more fit for the role than her, as I’m clearly more attractive, and know all about how to run a household.

After I get out of bed, Cinderella makes herself useful by helping me get ready for my last day at this despicable farm. She runs me a bath, lays my dresses out for me, and with trembling hands and a sad face, helps me put on the slippers that will be the gateway to my new life. I walk down the stairs to the kitchen for the last time. I wobble a lot because of the slipper’s size, but beauty always comes with a price. When I enter the kitchen, I’m instantly repelled by the smell. It’s infested by a combination of the pottage Cinderella made, her disdainful homemade perfume, and farm animal excrement. How did the animals get inside? It smells stronger than usual. I won’t miss this place.

Anastasia

I can’t help but scream when I fall. I know that’s not the smartest move because people will be able to hear me escaping, but it was unavoidable. I land in a pile of hay that smells disgusting. I’m about to run away when I spot my sister, Griselda, inside the house looking incredibly uncomfortable. I decide to get in and save her. The room looks like an antiquated kitchen and smells terrible, like sweat, roses, and burnt food. I decide to grab one of the knives on the counter and hide under the table in case someone else comes in. When my sister approaches me, I grab her arm and pull her down the table with me. She lets out a loud, high-pitched scream that will probably get us killed.

After a solid minute of screaming, Griselda finally addresses me. “Anastasia! What are you doing down here? It’s an important day for the both of us. Today is going to be the best day of our lives!”

I don’t know how to react to this. She seems highly disturbed. I stammer for a second before replying. “Gris! Dude, are you okay? Are you on drugs? We just got kidnapped, what do you mean by the best day of our lives? It’s awful.”

“Don’t ‘dude’ me. What does that even mean? Such language shall not be used by ladies like us. You smell terrible, have you been out in those filthy stables again? You need to be more responsible. After all, today is the day we leave so I can get married! We got you a suitor too, he’s courting you tonight…” she says that last part under her breath.

Me? Married? At 18? She well knows I want to go to college and get my degree in mechanical engineering. My dream is to design cars and work with Formula One racers. Why is she acting so weird? I burst out laughing at how ridiculous everything sounds. She’s on drugs, there’s no other explanation for this. When I finally sober up, I take in her appearance. Her hair is voluminous, her cheeks look red, her lips pouty and swollen, and she’s wearing a corset and a skirt, of all things. Griselda is known for being extravagant, but this is just outrageous. What is happening and what kind of crazy reality am I in? When I finally look down at her feet, I can’t believe my eyes. There are two vertical scars on either side of each foot. The scars seem recent and deep, and her feet are deep purple. Her toenails are about to fall off. She is squeezed into some glass slippers that look about three sizes too small for her. What is she doing? This is when I remember we have been kidnapped. The fear creeps back in, leaving me motionless. Before I can move, there’s a knock on the door. Griselda takes my hand and leads me out of the room.

Griselda

This is despicable! How is my sister wearing pants? She won’t get courted now. She just ruined her life and doesn’t know it. Good thing we have the prince’s wealth, or else she would’ve ruined everything for us. After all mother has done to secure us good and stable marriages…

When I hear the loud knock, I can barely contain my excitement. I quickly stand up, forgetting that I’m wearing those uncomfortable slippers. I pull Ana with me because I want her to meet her new husband before she goes back to that old car she likes to play with. Before we enter the living room, I fix my hair because I need to look as put together as possible for my new husband. Ana, however, walks right in without second thought. Doesn’t she remember she needs to follow protocol? What’s wrong with her?

Anastasia

When I walk into the room, I’m met with a fat, smelly, old, and seemingly self-absorbed man who is looking at me expectantly.

I don’t know what he wants me to do until Cinderella comes up to me and whispers, “You have to bow and kiss his foot.”

I look back at her with a stunned look. Of course I’m not going to do that!

After what seems like hours, my sister walks inside the room. I see how unsteadily she’s walking in those heels. She tries to shrug it off, but I know her better than that. Griselda, with a big smile plastered on her face, bows down and kisses her future husband’s feet.

The moment she stands, the prince looks her up and down and says, “I guess you’re pretty enough to bear me attractive children, I agree with this marriage.”

His comment ignites a sudden wave of anger in me. “What is wrong with you? Don’t you realize what you said? My sister is more valuable than you think, she’s incredibly smart and has an amazing personality! She can do more in life than bear you children…”

In the blink of an eye, I’m grabbed by two of the prince’s guards and taken away. My sister does nothing to help me. She keeps up her act, although her smile falters a bit. I manage to kick one of the guards, and free one of my arms. I use the skills I learnt at my self-defense class to get the other man off me. After that, I run without looking back. I run for a better future for me, like the one I had planned in New York. I run and I cry, disappointed in my sister, who preferred a man over being respected and independent. I run until I can no more.

Paola was inspired to write this modern twist on the Cinderella story when she became more critically reflective of the classic fairy tales she had read in the past. She said that she believes classical fairy tales promote antiquated values and she hopes that her retelling will serve to highlight the pressures and expectations women in the 1700s lived with.