Re: China’s Xiaomi going global?

My classmate Jonathan’s blog described the potential of a new Chinese cellphone brand: Xiaomi, which is cost-effective and popular among young people. Xiaomi has big screen, nice looking, and the most important, cheap price. This feature makes it standout and able to compete with Samsung and Apple.

Its clear target market and brand image make Xiaomi a good brand effect, and what attracts a huge cohort of consumers is its price, which is the biggest competitive advantage.

The next step is to go global. In the blog, he mentioned that we could open the poor emerging market, as there’s a rapid increasing demand for smartphone, and I agree with him on this point.

However, it is hard to enter the market in Europe and America. Most of my friends in Canada never heard of this brand before. I think we need to reposition its image in order to expand its product to high consumption areas like Vancouver. Xiaomi should let people know it not only has cheap price, but also attach importance to the quality. Image effect is also essential, and if it could enlarge its impact to North America as well as Europe and make more people know its potential, Xiaomi would go global much faster.