Muji: the Art of Minimalism and No-brand

10286771

The recent news said Japanese retailer Muji is coming to Vancouver. Word is that it will open shop here sometime in the next year or so, it is really a surprise to me!

Muji is a Japanese retail company which sells a wide variety of household and consumer goods. The reason why I like it so much is because its unique design philosophy and its design minimalism, emphasizing on recycling, avoidance of waste in production and packaging.

image

Muji advocates minimalism but has annual sales of ten billion; it has no-logo policy while it enjoys popular support. It seems contradictory, but in fact it represents a business concept. It attaches importance to every consumer, explores consumer demand, to pursuit perfect product. That is why its products are unique designed, simple and practical. For instance, as a student, I really like a highlighter with a transparent partition. Muji brings us convenience from the details, but also long-term durability, no fancy designs and colors, with their own sense of unique design.

u=4217976845,2237546018&fm=15&gp=0

Here comes the question, since it has no logo, no spokesperson, no advertising, what makes it that success? Its marketing strategy is to display the details. Placement of each item is very particular, and from the customer coming into the store, satiety commodities bring people a strong visual impact. With all the products in black white or gray, unified and harmonious colors make people feel comfortable, can not help but want to take them home.

Marketing strategy of no-brand, unique brand positioning, minimalist design, purity becomes Muji business sustenance. I am looking forward to Muji coming to Vancouver, and I will be its loyal customer.

Source: