Red Flag Since Day One ~ Time of the Doves

When I first read Mercè Rodoreda’s novel The Time of the Doves, I initially thought it would be somewhat wholesome and heartfelt — based on the name and love story presented. However, I was thoroughly mistaken. Similar to the other texts in this class, it made me feel many overwhelming emotions: sadness, shock, and anger. The main character — Natalia — suffered loss after loss and horror after horror. It seemed like the story would never reach a happy ending, and fittingly, the ending was bittersweet. Although this text is admittedly not a happy read, it is notably very illuminating. Many themes can be seen throughout the story; from war, grief, anxiety, domestic violence, manipulation, and more. 

Amazingly, while the text is simply written, it is still very complex and intricate. Mercè Rodoreda does a fantastic job detailing scenes and metaphors. Additionally, I was able to sympathize and connect with Natalia as the story progressed. Which added an interesting and challenging layer when she committed questionable or downright concerning actions. 

The characters surrounding her also made me feel annoyed and conflicted, especially with Quimet. Here, we can find a solid connection to doves mentioned in the story, as his character is seemingly (and unhealthy) obsessed with birds and Natalia. 

Natalia meets Quimet while all dressed in white and is identified as the bird by him. This can appear charming, based on the notion that doves represent love and peace. But it is notable to account that they can also represent a quiet innocence and purity. The moment I read that scene, I felt wary. I was unsure if Natalia felt the same or encaptured by his words, but I was praying she’d run away from this man. This may be because of my own personal bias, but any person who is interested in another because of their “innocent” appearance and is bold enough to tell them is a red flag. STAY CLEAR OF THESE PEOPLE, TRUST ME. 

I felt that there were many warning signs for Natalia at the beginning of the story. Particularly the scene where Quimet and Natalia see and discuss blackbirds. Quimet himself notions the bad luck attached to them as they fly near them. This does help explain plot points in a literary sense, but also sneakily tells the readers his later of his true deposition. 

I could be reading into the text too much, but Mercè Rodoreda does make an effort to expand doves and birds into her text (not just in a literal sense). Particularly, Natalia thinks of her children as eggs, delicate and vulnerable enough to shake and invoke a fury of doves and war while deciding to kill them. Furthermore, Natalia recalls a time when she was happy, represented by the memory of a free and careless bird in the sky at the end of the story. 

Notably, each mention of these doves or birds is significant. The title should indicate this plainly. However, it is more profound than just peace or freedom, as vulnerability, bad omens, pain and sentimentality are notable.

Question: Do you see any warning signs for Natalia at the beginning of the story? What are other correlations to the characters or events you can connect to doves?

(Please response in the leave your thought section)

5 Thoughts.

1. “I could be reading into the text too much, but Mercè Rodoreda does make an effort to expand doves and birds into her text (not just in a literal sense).” There is another animal that seems to have some relevance, at least for Natalia’s children: the “llagostes.” And I leave this word in Catalan because the English translations give us two possibilities, where the living being in question is very different. Why the continuous reference to that painting where these beings in question appear? Is there a symbolic process similar to that of doves?

2. Hi Franny, while I also agree with you that Quimet is a manipulative person, I think Natalia yields to his dominance sometimes. She does defend herself when being accused of going out with Pere, but then she stops arguing. To answer your question, I do see warning signs for Natalia at the beginning of the story. The scene that stuck with me the most was when Quimet was indifferent to his tardiness. However, toward the end of the novel, I think Natalia still has emotional connections with Quimet. Her conflicted emotions may mean her own psychological liberation from the relationship and she has learned to accept him.
    – Janae

3. I never realized that she was wearing a white dress when she meets Quimet. This is a very good symbol to then link to the role of the doves. It highlights the innocence that perhaps lead Nataila astray to Quimet in the first place.

4. I like how many of us share the same frustration and hatred towards Quimet and his character. I think your perspective on Natalia is quite compelling, but I also think there are factors that have shaped her character. Natalia does not seem to have many people to turn to or talk about, despite the presence of her father and step-mother, she does not have much guidance growing up since her mother died. With that said, Natalia seems like she does not see Quimet as being an issue or does not at least do anything to break away from it because he seems to be the one that is there for her, even though he is obviously not a good partner.

5. Hella warning signs, the whole first interaction with Quimet and him chasing her was so icky, I remember reading the line ‘he tells the story…’ and realizing that she ends up with him and being like nooooooo. Also tough because she’s recalling how she doesn’t have a mother to guide her which she finds to be difficult nad makes her feel alone when making big decisions