Somebody Else’s Computer

In class, while we were discussing collaborating in social media spaces, I saw one of those pastel-hued motivational phrases on a classmate’s laptop and it really resonated with me.

Of course this was one of those moments where you misread something because you only see it in the periphery of your vision. I’d gotten the text right, but missed the content. It was Safari’s connection error screen:

Lion-NotConnectedToInternet

I still think there’s something worth thinking about in that phrase, taken out of context as it was. Put into the context of collaboration through the internet, to me it was a welcome reminder that

We talk so frequently about being plugged in (and consequently having to unplug) from the internet, technology, or what have you but it’s still figurative. Physically connecting to the internet — literally being plugged in — remains in the domain of cyberpunk. Just like the cloud is just somebody else’s computer, social media is just… somebody else.

I mentioned previously that I contributed to the tumblr of the Out on the Shelves Library for a feature called #webcomic wednesdays, and that feature resulted in a couple of creators donating copies of their books. Essentially, a fellow volunteer and I reviewed webcomics with queer content as a sort of reader’s advisory service and if we knew the author’s social media accounts, we tagged them as a sort of “hey, we like your stuff” courtesy.

The first time one of them messaged us saying they were going to drop by and donate a print edition of their comic, we freaked out in fangirl confusion and joy. Or maybe that was just me. I did happen to be the volunteer librarian on duty the day it happened and made up a couple of library cards for the writer and illustrator of the comic, and even checked out a book to one of them (all summarized in this tumblr exchange). So of course I immediately posted afterwards on facebook that “today I learned the internet is real place and shook the hands of two people that live there.” Behind Tumblr, Twitter, Facebook, and the comments section are real places and real people and if anything its them we’re connected to, not “the internet.”

A longtime friend whom I had originally met through MySpace immediately chided me that we had hung out on multiple occasions when he “comes from the internet,” too. Which in this framework is, I suppose, a reminder that people we’re connected to though our social media use are often (though I would think, not always) connected to us.

Standard

One thought on “Somebody Else’s Computer

1. amybae says:

I love those moments when you realize that what you are learning in class plays out in your life, connects to your personal experiences and you nod in knowledgeable smugness like you have insider info or something.

I think that the work you are doing is super cool. Thanks for sharing!!