Home

Hi Everyone! Welcome to my ENGL301 UBC BLOG.

ENGL301 is a course that teaches students the principles of written communication in general business and professional activities. Students of ENGL 301 will learn a lot about how to write professionally; it is definitely a practical course as it prepares UBC students to be a qualified candidate when applying for work.

I am currently in the IDST program because I have always liked the idea of a diverse career path, so I kept my options open and explore as many subjects as possible. My achievement in IDST had shown that my biggest academic interest is in Business. Hence, one of the reasons for me to take this course is because I wish to learn to write professionally, and able to communicate with various stakeholders in the future. I am excited to begin learning some of the techniques used in professional writings, and I would like to become more familiar with the basic structure/structures of business writing documents. I am curious about how to write memos/letter/ business emails, etc. Broadly, I hope to gain further insight into how professional people communicate with each other, how to politely reject someone’s request in a workplace without making that person feel bad; or how to propose my business ideas to various shareholders. Then, I hope to feel comfortable communicating effectively on business topics, because my other courses mainly focus on works of literature and my reflections on these works.

I greatly appreciate the chance to write my own UBC Blog, and the opportunity to share my thoughts with my peers. I look forward to reading my peers’ blogs and perhaps collaborate with one another. Please leave a comment if you find my ideas interesting/ignorant/ need improvement. I will try my best and reply to you.

Thank You.